Dogface Puffer Addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I'm thinking I may go ahead and order a dogface puffer from Premium Aquatics. My only concern is when I should add him. If I did it soon, he'd be one of the first in the tank. I only have a small yellow tang and foxface so far. Should I wait and add the puffer last? Or do they do alright with new tank additions? I dont want to add him to late and have him be picked on for bein the new guy, and I don't want to add him too soon and have him pick on any new additions to come, as I know there will be many more.

Thanks in advance for any help! I want to be sure to do this right and make sure it's easiest on all the fish to come

It just so happens they have one in, I've got it on hold for me, but it's not a requirement to buy. They said its a little bigger than a golf ball. I don't know if the size makes a difference on temperament or not. I have no experience with puffers. They said he's super friendly, eats great, they've had him for a little over a week, and they say it's so friendly it will actually let you pet it and hold it. (to me that doesn't sound like all that great of an idea, but I could be wrong). And the price tag on its only $30. I think I'm going to go pick him up Saturday, unless someone thinks itd be a bad idea to add to my tank. I've got great filtration, excellent parameters, and do bi-weekly water changes of 25-30%

Most territorial fishes come last. Dogface is the considered an aggressive fish, but also the nicest of the aggressive puffers. I think they can hold their own, except during the juvenile stages of their life.

You will never regret getting a dogface puffer IMO They have more personality than most humans :)

What size tank?? We have a porkie and he is awesome!!! Spits at us and everything. We have pet and held him too. Very cool fish...love my puffie! Ours though my pinkie was some mysis and tried to eat my finger. His beak wasn't sharp, but it did startle me a bit.

Spits at us and everything. We have pet and held him too.

Accident waiting to happen. Google about people getting bit by a puffer. They bleed, bleed, and bleed some more. Teeth doesn't even have to be sharp.

lovefishys said:
What size is the puffer? That can make a big difference.

If this is a 55g that is in your profile then this puffer will easily outgrow this tank. They get big fast and require lots of food. Your nitrates will see the hit.

Ahh no no. The 55 is long gone. I need to update my profile. My mistake! It's a 125 gallon with 40 gallon breeder sump. It's got about 160lbs of rock, 120lbs of sand. It's been up and running for about 9-10 months now. And the puffer is a little bigger than a golf ball now. Sorry about the confusion. I mainly get on here with my phone, and haven't been able to figure out how to update my profile on this app yet.

cashmoney6980 said:
Ahh no no. The 55 is long gone. I need to update my profile. My mistake! It's a 125 gallon with 40 gallon breeder sump. It's got about 160lbs of rock, 120lbs of sand. It's been up and running for about 9-10 months now. And the puffer is a little bigger than a golf ball now. Sorry about the confusion. I mainly get on here with my phone, and haven't been able to figure out how to update my profile on this app yet.

Ah, i believe the only way is on the website. Sounds like a good setup for him then. Good Luck ;)

Thank you very much! Im way excited about him! Picking him up tomorrow afternoon for sure. I'll post pics after I get him! I may get a six line as well with him

Hope I'm not to late on this but area u live? I got a doface about 5 inches long I'm near Phila pa if you like I jus wanna know he's going to good home

Ahh man I wish I could take him! I live in central Indiana though. About an hour south of Indianapolis. I really do appreciate the offer, and would love to take him off your hands. But good luck trying to find a new home for him! If I may ask, why are you looking to get rid of him?

I'm trying to go from fowlr to reef puffer and reef not a good combo

If you have a local saltwater fish and reef group, they may be able to help you find a good home for him! The group I'm a member of trade corals and fish all the time and you will know that he will go to someone who will take good care of him.

It's also a good place to buy corals from people's tanks that are not contaminated with parasites etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom