Doing it backwards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah, I'm doing it backwards. I was in saltwater for 15 years and now I'm going to switch to freshwater. Its a 175gal reef ready tank with a 40gal sump. I'll be doing a discus tank with ALOT of community fish.

After 15 years, I'm by no means a newbie to the hobby, but...I have little to no experience in planting a freshwater tank. So, unfortunately I'm gonna have to go newbie on ya. :roll:

okay...my lighting. I just sold my 175watt M/H Vho combo. I was told by just about everyone that it would be way too much light for my tank. My question is, do I have to go vho or pc? Can I just get several shop lites from Home Depot and put aquarium grade bulbs in them? The freshwater plants dont require the same par light levels that salt does, to my understanding. So what would be the reason for doing anything other than simply a few HD lighting ballast and bulbs made for growing plants. Maybe an actinic or two thrown in the mix.

And, yes, before anyone mentions it...I am most definitely planning on running CO2. 8)

Also...what is the normal substrate for a planted tank?

thanks guys!

That lighting issue may just be SW folks not knowing about the light requirements of FW planted tanks. A large high-light, CO2 injected, heavily planted tank can require almost as much light as a SW coral tank.

That being said, you will find the same problem exists in FW planted as in SW, NO flourescents will not provide enough light (unless you OD with ballasts). PC are the starting point if you wish.

Check out the lighting sticky at the beginning of this forum. Very informative.

The mh lights were two 175watt mh lights and two vho's (cant remember the output). And yeah, everyone told me the intense light would be too much for the tank. I sold them because I needed the money to convert the tank and because they draw alot of electricity. My electric bill dropped dramatically when I sold them. For freshwater, I have no desire to run m/h lighting. p/c or vho...maybe.

I know for SW, they dont NO lighting does not put out the correct par value. Is this the same in FW?

Chilla....heh, I'm still deciding if its a move forwards or backwards. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom