Done Cycling or Not?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravynnm

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 30G tank has been up for 2 1/2 weeks. Used a big sponge from my 20G to seed it along with a brand new bottle of Nutrafin Cycle (ordered it from my store). I also have an anubias.

Things are now going smoothly. 2 days ago the ammonia was really high then it dropped a lot, nitrite is now present (getting higher by the day), and nitrates.

So all i'm wondering is, when the cycle is almost done, does ammonia drop, nitrite rise, along with nitrates? (i've already heard this but it's just the time period that's confusing me). :thanks:

Ammo spikes first then trites then trates. When trites drop to zero you are cycled. Goodluck with new tank.

My tank took about 2 and 1-2 weeks to cycle so it should be done soon as long as it went through the clear cloudy clear stage

I wouldn't be able to get a bristle nose pleco now, would i?
Or are they too sensitive to the nitrites converting to nitrates?

Water cloudiness has nothing to do with whether the tank is cycled.
Do you have fish or is this a fishless cycle? If you have fish, the rising nitrites are a concern as they are as toxic to fish as ammonia. You may want to take a look at this link: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice It explains cycling and the two types (fish-in or fishless).

If ammonia is dropping and nitrites rising you're about half done. The nitrite phase is the longest though, taking about 3 weeks on average. I wouldn't add fish until the tank finishes cycling.

I was doing a fishless cycle, but i have the chance to pick up a bristlenose today so i was just wondering if it would be okay to do that, if i did water changes every other day.

I have an anubias with algae on it and a big rock with a lot of algae as well plus algae wafers i've never used before. Just thought if i kept up with water changes every other day the pleco wouldn't die on me. Guess he would though, right?

Not necessarily. I'd first do a large water change to get nitrites, etc down (depending on how high they are it might take more than one full water change); don't forget dechlorinator. Then if you test the water daily and do water changes when/if you see any ammonia and/or nitrites present, it should be OK. Some fish are more sensitive than others to cycling though, but a fish-in cycle can work as long as you're diligent with testing and water changes.

Ammonia is 0.4 and nitrites are 0.2 and nitrates are around 6 or 7 --- KIDDING! Tested nitrates yesterday and it was that, just tested now and it's a HUGE 70ppm! What the hell?!! .. (Take note, i have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate in my tap water)

So, would a pleco be able to live in these conditions if i change the water every other day? I test the water in the morning and at night as well. I could ask my lps for filter media when i get the pleco (if i do), if that would help?

Ok, i need to add more info.

On the 15th after i added the filter media my nitrite readings were sky high and hardly any ammonia. Then nitrites were 0 (didn't have master kit at the time, didn't know nitrates) then everything was 0 except for ammonia because i had used flakes in a mesh bag.

Now (messed up on readings, couldn't see the colors correctly) ammonia 0.3mg/l - nitrite 0.2mg/l - nitrate 70mg/l - ph a stable 7.4 for almost 3 weeks (tap water is this)

Tap water has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate
Last wc was about a week ago

Back
Top Bottom