Dosing Iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beachbumin said:
I do PWC's weekly and add a few drops of Lugals solution every few days.
"Lugols’ solution, for example, contains a mixture of I2 and I-. It is the I2 form in particular that is the basis for the widespread belief that iodine is “toxic.” The I2 form, and that form in combination with other forms, it is a potent antibacterial agent that has long been used for disinfection" -Randy Holmes-Farley
Not something I'd add to a tank full of animals unless I was closely monitoring the concentration in the water. And then only if I had issues when using no additions, that cleared up w/ them, would I continue to us Lugols.

Parameters are great and my inverts love it!
Do you test for iodine? Keep in mind many kits don't detect iodate, so the result can be misleadingly low. Just to make something else clear, inverts thrive in tanks w/ out any iodine additions as well. Many factors lead to healthy inverts.

I have personally noticed better coral growth and happiness dosing a bit of trace elements on the weekends I don't do PWCs. This is just IMO, I get free kent marine products so why not :)

Back
Top Bottom