Dosing Kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Could someone tell me how quickly they drip kalkwasser into their tank. I am running a 75 gallon tank and I want to know if they add 1 gallon per day, or hour or week of the solution? Obviously, testing for calcium and alk is a must, but what is a general idea? Any help would be appreciated.
Travis

its all diff for each tank !! how much ca using animals ya have !! test add test and quickly ya will find the right amount!!
most go very slow drips !! in my 90main/55fuge/50/sump i just use an airline to syphon the kalk in after main tank lights go out !!

I've heard people say they mix one third kalk with their top off water. So if you use say 3 gallons of fresh water to top off, dose 2 gallon of water with 1 gallon of kalk instead.

HTH

Kalk is one of the most underused supplements in the hobby IMO. It maintains BOTH Calcium and Alkalinity in a balanced manner, it precipitates phosphates, it helps maintain higher pH, etc. On top of that.....it's CHEAP!!!

During the winter, my evaporation rate increases substantially due to the central heating. My calcium demands also change frequently as I frag often. That's why testing often is necessary.

Basically, I would recommend reading the directions on your Kalk and then test and adjust accordingly. After a couple weeks, you will know your tanks particular needs.

Back
Top Bottom