Dosing Prime!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I'm wanting to make sure I dose the right amount of prime. I have a 29gal tank, is 3 ml the correct dosage?

Yes, it is. :)

When I do water changes, I only dose Prime for the amount of water removed, so in your case, a 50% water change would require 1 1/2 - 2 ml of Prime. Since it's safe to overdose it a bit, I'd go with 2 ml. Other people choose to dose for total tank size versus amount of water changed, so in that case, you could go with the 3 ml.

Questions?

Got my prime today, was thinking about dosages for my 17gal.

I was gonna just add 2ml but now I'm thinking of working out the right amount, cos I'm cheap and don't wanna waste any lol!

Also started using prime recently. After using Tetra Aquasafe for months, it feels wierd measuring 1/2 ml per bucket where I use to use 3ml or more.

If you are just putting the water into the tank then treating. I would dose the whole tank before you even put in the water. Also you could turn off your filters so the chlorine doesn't run through and kill all your bb. If you treat the water before you put it in your tank, you only need to treat that amount of water.
Prime is a great water conditioner as well. It will minimize any ammonia and nitrites for 24h.

LyndaB said:
Yes, it is. :)

When I do water changes, I only dose Prime for the amount of water removed, so in your case, a 50% water change would require 1 1/2 - 2 ml of Prime. Since it's safe to overdose it a bit, I'd go with 2 ml. Other people choose to dose for total tank size versus amount of water changed, so in that case, you could go with the 3 ml.

Questions?

I've read alot of people here does for tank size not WC. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think there are an equal number of members that use both methods. I've been doing this with 4 tanks for years and have never had an issue, not so much as a mini-cycle. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. ;)

How much do you guys pay for your Prime?
The big tall 8.5 oz bottle is $9.99 @ Petsmart but $19.99 at a family owned LFS...
The medium 3.4 oz bottle is $5.99 & the smallest bottle is $3.99 ..... Let's just say with 4 tanks that tiny bottle doesn't last too long! :)

Think I usually pay between $10-$12 for the big bottle. I like to be frugal, but have zero shopping patience...lol. Not a great combo. I too have seen it at some mom and pop stores for closer to $20.

I just figured out that that large bottle allows us to do 33 water changes on each of our 4 tanks. Not too shabby. :D

LyndaB said:
I think there are an equal number of members that use both methods. I've been doing this with 4 tanks for years and have never had an issue, not so much as a mini-cycle. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. ;)

Do you treat the water before or after it is in your tank. I ha e noticed ppl only dose for the amount of water before it goes into the tank. Also my fish don't need dechlorinator so should I not use it because it not broke? My dad never used it on any of his tanks when I was growing up either and the fish lived for years. But I have noticed there is no chlorine in our water supply... I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just saying it what I noticed

I treat the water before, during or after I start the refill process. Depends on how hectic things are going with the other tanks.

I'm glad your father's fish survived...... more power to him. Would I risk not using a dechlorinator? No, but that's just me personally. To each his own.

LyndaB said:
I treat the water before, during or after I start the refill process. Depends on how hectic things are going with the other tanks.

I'm glad your father's fish survived...... more power to him. Would I risk not using a dechlorinator? No, but that's just me personally. To each his own.

Well I have tested our water supply and found nothing harmful to fish. Which explains why they survived I guess. Even to this day though. He doesn't use water conditional and no casualties. All I was trying to say was that sometimes if it works, it doesn't always mean its good. Look at the betta...
But what ever works.

I've recently started using prime and I tend to dose the right amount for whole tank in the first bucket of replaced water, I also turn my filter off until I've finshed refilling

Back
Top Bottom