Dosing Recommendations needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackwood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon medium planted tank with 1.5wpg, C02 injected through a reactor. I have a bag of CSM+B (or what ever it is) from GregWatson.com. How much and how often should I dose the dry ferts? I figure if I put it in the sump (wet/dry filter for 150gallon tank) it won't 'shock' the tank as it'll mix in the sump and be circulated. Is this a good idea?

I plan on keeping my Nitrate around 15ppm dosing with dry KN03.

My tank look like the picture below, but it's a bit more heavily planted now (but not a lot), and has about 40 small fish (tetras, gobys, mollys, plattys, 2 scats for BBA control...) so the bio load isn't large.

Any suggestions for how much/how often for the dry ferts?

Blackwood said:
I have a 125 gallon medium planted tank with 1.5wpg, C02 injected through a reactor. I have a bag of CSM+B (or what ever it is) from GregWatson.com. How much and how often should I dose the dry ferts? I figure if I put it in the sump (wet/dry filter for 150gallon tank) it won't 'shock' the tank as it'll mix in the sump and be circulated. Is this a good idea?

I plan on keeping my Nitrate around 15ppm dosing with dry KN03.

My tank look like the picture below, but it's a bit more heavily planted now (but not a lot), and has about 40 small fish (tetras, gobys, mollys, plattys, 2 scats for BBA control...) so the bio load isn't large.

Any suggestions for how much/how often for the dry ferts?

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/62-estimative-index-dosing-no-need-test-kits.html

I figure if I put it in the sump (wet/dry filter for 150gallon tank) it won't 'shock' the tank as it'll mix in the sump and be circulated. Is this a good idea?
Yes.

Also, seal the sump and keep the water drop in the overflow boxes low (or use a standpipe if it's a drilled tank) to help keep CO2 in the water. FWIW, I am of the opinion you may as well submerge the Wet/Dry media or (better) plant the sump.

The calculator is great for KN03, but I'm asking about CSM+B Fertalizer, not KN03. I have no way of testing Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, etc. so I'd like a ball park about to dose each week.

Remember to factor in the sump's water volume when calculating dosing. A good guess is good enough.

Here's the Fertilization sticky/howto, which also contains links to lots of calcs, including Zezmo's .xls spreadsheet/EI schedule: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=55457

Here's the only online CSM+B solution calculator. :) A target of .1-.2ppm Fe per dose is reasonable, and 1/4tsp CSM+B dry should be good if your sump is 10-50gallons. You can use Chuck's or Tom Barr/Plantbrain's targets for the rest if you want.

(With over 20ppm NO3 from KNO3 dosed weekly, you hit the minimum K target too. Lots of people with moderate hardness tap don't worry about Mg.)

Here's EI "light," which you may find more readable than the original rkilling posted: http://www.barrreport.com/articles/1800-ei-light-less-techical-aspects-estimative-index.html

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom