Dosing & Topping Off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to do both, and I would like to do them both automatically. BUT – I’m on a budget. Is there an economical way to do both?

I want to dose B-Ionic because I understand that it provides calcium and helps maintain Alkalinity. I don’t have any hard corals yet. Should I wait until then or start dosing now to develop my routine?

I plan to keep soft corals before I get had corals. Should I dose Iodine or something else for the benefit of the softies?

Finally – Can I dose and top off with the same device or should I separate the two? Dose with a Doser and top off with a float switch and power head?

Looking for advice –

Thanks!!

Finally – Can I dose and top off with the same device or should I separate the two? Dose with a Doser and top off with a float switch and power head?

I would dose with a doser, or manually (you migh not have a choice with the b-ionic), and automate top off with a float switch and either a ph or use gravity. Noe thing to consider is if you want to automate the CA and ALK supplaments, is rather than using b-ionic (or use it for adjustments as needed) would be to dose kalk in your top off. If you are doing regular water changes you might not find it necessary to dose anything but kalk.

Is Kalk simple to dose? I see all sort of dosers and reactors for kalk. Are they necessary, or can I just mix up a batch and add it to my top off water?

You can simplu use kalk for your topp off, but it must be done slowly, either a drip at night, or in conjunction with a float switch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom