DOSING?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone explain the proper process to dose. I mean does anyone have a a schedule of how to properly dose? I tried to stick with basic reef corals etc. The easy stuff. I have used some Kent products like Coral-Accel, and Essential Elements. This is my set-up:
I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Firefish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater, I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food. I have heard alot about dosing but am scared to do it. Can someone explain the proper way to do it to not mess up? Is Kent Marine the best way to go? I understand you need to test for Alk and Copper. I just think that if I start dosing that I will lost some great corals. From what I have maybe someone can suggest something easier instead of dosing? Thanks alot. Mike

If you are doing regular water changes there really is no need to dose anything extra IMO aside from Kalk or a 2 part ionic CA/ALK mixture. for a 75G tank I would just change out an empty salt bucket worth of water a week and you'll be doing esentially the same thing as dosing without the fear of adding something wrong.
As far as food goes, I would get some DTs and if you really want to dose phyto, drop in about 10ml a week max. I would grab a salifert CA and ALK test to keep your eye on things, and have a nitrate on hand if your going to be dropping in food so that you can be on top of any overfeedings, etc.
Honestly, additives are 99% snake oil as far as im concerned, feeds on a market of people who feel like if they put a couple ML of this stuff in their water every now and then that they will have a windfall of success. In truth its all about the water changes and good salt mix.

Can someone explain the proper process to dose.
The only thing you really need to dose is a 15% water change ivery couple of weeks :lol: As BriscO mentioned, additives are exspensive and really not needed if you do regualr water changes. Depending on tap water, you may need to use some type of CA/ALK boosters as stated.
I have the Liquid Plankton and also frozen plankton and brine shrimp for food
Whay type of plankton? Also, I would skip the rine and start feeding some krill or mysis shrimp. Brine shrimp has not nutritional value for fish, it simply makes them full.
I understand you need to test for Alk and Copper.
I think you mean ALK and Calcium. Yes, there is a need to test and regulate these two.

agreed. Alk and calcium should be tested for if you keep corals, and if you do regular water changes, you should only have the need to does alk and ca.

Brine shrimp have little nutritional value...mysis shrimp are far superior.

I was talking to The Owner at my LPS that has been in the business for over 30 years and I asked him about dosing. He showed me his setup and explained how to do it let me know what you think about this concept. First he siad it doesn't matter the size of tank you have, Second it is a big dosing tank that he has but said that it should be set at 1 drop every 3 seconds into the sump in the Wet/Dry filter. He said doesn't matter size tank but that is the right speed to do it. He only doses Kalkwasser. He said by that set up you cannot OD once it is set it is like set it and forget it. I asked him about testing Ca. and Alk. he said you don't have to b/c it will be fine and you can't ruin your tank with this process. What does everyone think about this?? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom