Double 115g thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So here's the start of the double 115g build.

This is the stand, a work in progress. My most awesome fiance has been working on this in his spare time.

This is for 2 115g tanks, one for african cichlids, the other for tetras and angelfish.

Attachments

• stand1.JPG
    stand1.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 92
  • stand2.JPG
    stand2.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 68
  • stand3.JPG
    stand3.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 63
This is awesome, I will definitely be keeping up!

I notice plumbing in between the space for tanks. Is that for canisters?

Looks promising! Do you have an idea as far as stock numbers, or specific species of tetras/africans? As for angels I'm assuming p. scalare.

I know you guys are gonna plant this awesomely... any choice for substrates? Are you going to alter the water's pH in any way (rocks, crushed coral etc?) in the separate tanks?

On the tetra/angels we'll have 2 Fluval 405s and on the african tank we'll have an oceanclear canister (got 2 free with the tanks). What you might see as plumbing is probably the power strips that we set up to get everything ready. For altering pH, I don't plan to do anything. I'd rather no mess with pH if I can. I do have peat if I need to lower pH in the tetra/angel although the tetras we have now are doing awesomely without it. I can run crushed coral in the african filter if I need to.

The tetra/angelfish will be mostly neons (tons of them, already have 60) and handfuls of other types like blacks, hatchets, glow lights, maybe some rummys, some harlequin rasboras, albino corys, and my chocolate/albino pleco with 4 angels. I was thinking koi angels but it depends on availability in our area. The substrate will be different sizes of river pebble gravel, large river rock, mopani wood and yep, a crap load of plants :)

The africans will be albino zebras, red zebras, acei, blue zebras, yellow labs. Their tank will have sugar white PFS and lace rock. I might do some fake vines weaved in there.

For the background on both tanks I have an idea that I think will add some "light" texture, I plan to use burlap connected to the tank trim with velcro. I think that will add a natural-ish look.

You do know angels and neons can co-exsist right?

That's like saying JDs and rosey reds can't share a tank. To which I call BS because our JDs got their tailfins whipped by a few male roseys ready to spawn.

I'm just talking about the general trends. Sure there are exceptions, but they're rare.

Statistically then yeah, the neons could become lunch, but there is that chance everything will be fine. The angels will be about nickle sized while the neons will be full grown. There are already 60 neons in our 55g and as we get more they will go into the 55 for QT and to grow.

I'm one for the challenge. I was told years ago you can't put jewels and SA together. We have 2 JDs, 2 Jewels, 2 dozen tiger barbs, 2 dozen giant danios and 2 (getting more) clown loaches in our 120 and everyone is getting along great (since we moved out the firemouths months ago)

Stands are completed and tanks are placed. The last picture shows the difference in size of these 2 tanks and our 120.

Attachments

• stands75.jpg
    stands75.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 48
  • stands76.jpg
    stands76.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 61
  • stands77jpg.jpg
    stands77jpg.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 53
  • stands77.jpg
    stands77.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 56
day 1

Set up the african cichlid tank last night. We will be adding more rocks as we can.

Attachments

• img_1668.jpg
    img_1668.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 53
  • img_1669.jpg
    img_1669.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
What's the floor situation like over there? Are you guys on top of cement, or have reinforced floors, or what?

Edit: Although the corner should be the strongest part I think.

Back
Top Bottom