Dr. Tims one and only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to your main questions, you and your reef would have been much better off spending that $60 on salt, if you want to be successful, let nature takes its course

Back to your main questions, you and your reef would have been much better off spending that $60 on salt, if you want to be successful, let nature takes its course

Could you be more specific as to why you say this? I have 2 tanks, a 140 Gallon that I did naturally with a table shrimp and a 40 Gallon that I used this product on. Both are doing great although the 40 gallon is under 6 months old. I'd like you to explain more about why using this product is wrong.

I guess its the same old issues, using chemicals and additives to speed up the natural processes of a reef. IF we all save the money that is spent on additives, snake oils and chemicals, and just do more frequent water changes, there would be a lot successful reefers and a lot more live specimens. It may work for you but too many newbies see post like this and run out and dump additives in and fish right after, then post why is everything dieting. We have reef tanks to have a small piece of nature but then we use additives and chemicals to do what nature doesn't do naturally.

I guess its the same old issues, using chemicals and additives to speed up the natural processes of a reef. IF we all save the money that is spent on additives, snake oils and chemicals, and just do more frequent water changes, there would be a lot successful reefers and a lot more live specimens. It may work for you but too many newbies see post like this and run out and dump additives in and fish right after, then post why is everything dieting. We have reef tanks to have a small piece of nature but then we use additives and chemicals to do what nature doesn't do naturally.

I agree with everything you said. I will say however that if you use dry sand and dry rock there is no way to get the strains of bacteria that are found in the ocean to seed your tank. In this case using Dr. Tims product is a way to introduce the "correct" bacteria found in the ocean. I put that in quotes because the research I've done is limited to product marketing from Dr. Tim and other products like his so I do not have "proof" that they are the correct strains but I do weigh what he says more heavily as Dr. Tims PHD paper was on the bacteria strains found in the oceans. I agree that there are many products out there that claim to do certain things and which are of nebulous benefit, I do think based on my own experience that Dr. Tims product works as marketed but I would never recommend someone put anything living into a tank cycled with it without days of testing to ensure that the cycle levels are correct.

I have used it on a couple tanks. Works great... Usually cycles the tank in about. 6 days. It is the only product like this that I trust.

IMO you can do something similar by seeding some live rock into the base rock and adding a carbon source. Bacterial will bloom exponentially. A bacterial source can turn into a organic waste source pretty quickly.

My understanding is that it is just Biospira re-marketed.. Which Biospira is tried and true.

Where did you get that info? From what I see, totally different marketing and Dr Tim's claims they developed their product. I don't really care, as many products are relabeled, but I have never heard this claim before about Dr Tims.

His bio beads are just raw biodegradable plastic beads for a injection molding machine. You buy that stuff in 50 gallon drums.

His bio beads are just raw biodegradable plastic beads for a injection molding machine. You buy that stuff in 50 gallon drums.

I thought they were talking about One & Only bacteria. I've never tried their other products, so I can't speak for those. Regarding that product, I have seen it work, so it always makes me question why people that have never used it, talk about it like it is bad or question it. After about six days, it brings an aquarium dosed with ammonia down to zero within 24 hours. IMO, if it gets my tank to cycle in a week, I am about a month ahead of doing it the smelly, rotting shrimp method. :) That method works (I've done that too), as does dosing with ammonia, I'm just impatient with cycling. A bad trait in saltwater, but it is just how I am. :)

Man o man did I just open a can of worms over this stuff.... lol well I have it on order and will test it out.... I am sure it is going to work out.... All I have is heard good stuff about it.... just wish it was a little cheaper

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Man o man did I just open a can of worms over this stuff.... lol well I have it on order and will test it out.... I am sure it is going to work out.... All I have is heard good stuff about it.... just wish it was a little cheaper

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are talking about Tanked and bacteria in a bottle. Both are very very debatable and have started plenty of arguments. Try it out and tell if it works! No point in arguing.

Everyone will have different opinions. So you are the only person who can see if it will work for you.

I am an old stick in the mud, like Todd! ;)

My mantra is to not get in a hurry with a reef. So the extra few days or week a natural cycle affords suits me. I am sure saturating a new system with bacteria jump starts the cycle, but I wonder what the effect of so much excess bacteria is. My bet is 75% of it dies off, but maybe that's no issue. If it works, it works, I'm just not in that big a hurry.

I am an old stick in the mud, like Todd! ;)

My mantra is to not get in a hurry with a reef. So the extra few days or week a natural cycle affords suits me. I am sure saturating a new system with bacteria jump starts the cycle, but I wonder what the effect of so much excess bacteria is. My bet is 75% of it dies off, but maybe that's no issue. If it works, it works, I'm just not in that big a hurry.

+1, my point exactly, let nature take it's course ?, we know nature works long term, chemicals?

In fairness, it's not really a chemical. It's very much like the stuff we use to use to start a sand filter system. Just a bunch of bacteria.

In fairness, it's not really a chemical. It's very much like the stuff we use to use to start a sand filter system. Just a bunch of bacteria.

So I'm always looking to learn, so can bacteria live in a closed up bottle? And if so does it multiply while setting on the shelf or do they slowly die off living in a stagnet closed invironment

Back
Top Bottom