Dragon Goby keeps digging up plants - Need decorating help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkillur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It appears that my new dragon goby has decided that since he can't oust my fairly vociferous king-of-the-tank blue gourami "Rasputin" from his hidy cave, he has now decided to burrow under my rock between the front part of the overflow. (Seen below in the first picture) The main problem with this is that he's digging up plants in the process, so I'm kind of scratching my head trying to figure out what to do.

Here is a picture of the tank as it was last weekend when I put him in. He is behind the sandstone in the back left (with all of the plants coming out behind the rock). Click for the bigger version.

60% of the plants have been uprooted and were floating around the tank. As a standby, I've pinned them under a rock on the other side of the tank.

The picture below is where I want him to go and where he was going before he dug out the plants. (Click for a bigger view, this is a cropped one to not blow up dial-up connections!)

My main question is how do I, or can I prevent him from burrowing under the back rock? Or, better yet, is there a way to coax him into a hiding spot against the glass? I'd like to see the guy if possible...

Dragon gobies are brackish water fish, salinity 1.005 to 1.015. Dragon gobies develop sores, tumors and skin problems if kept in freshwater long-term

How about breaking a terra cotta pot in half and putting the open side against the glass - be careful of the cut edges (file them down to smooth)

toddnbecka said:
Dragon gobies are brackish water fish, salinity 1.005 to 1.015. Dragon gobies develop sores, tumors and skin problems if kept in freshwater long-term

My goal long term (year or so) is to purchase another tank (the wife doesn't know this yet though :) ) and move my freshwater guys into it. Then, I'm going to make the 72 gallon brackish and convert it all the way into a full blown salt tank. Dragon Gobies survive a really long time in Salt Water according to multiple people I've talked to at the LFS' I've been to...

Back
Top Bottom