Drain plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm gonna start hard plumbing my tank soon and I'm using 3/4" return and a 1" drain. My question is, when I plumb the drain do I want it to go straight down into the sump or should I add an elbow to it? It's gonna have a gate valve, a union and then the plumbing to the tank. I wonder that if I make it straight down if it'll be any louder than with a corner. Another thing is that I want it to drain as much as possible cause the return is powered by a mag 9.5 and I think im gonna have to dial that down a bit with a gate valve for a 1" drain.

Honestly I don't think a corner would make much of a difference, aslong as the end of your drain pipe is submerged and there would be no splashing. Either way there is the possibilty of the sound of water running down the pipes. So which is better hearing the water hitting the 90 degree bend in the pip or going right to the bottom of the sump?

I have a 90G RR and a Mag 9.5 as well.. I have my drain on a 45° angle aimed at the wall and also submerged with a filter sock on it. There are bubbles n it was splashing at first but I just put a filter sock on it and it took care of it :)

bjj_junkie said:
Do you have to dial down the return alot?

No I didn't dial it down at all.. I have 2 ball valves for my 2 returns so I just adjust the flow there

Ok thanks, I might add a couple of elbows then cause I don't even know if I can get the sump that far to the right for a straight pipe

bjj_junkie said:
Ok thanks, I might add a couple of elbows then cause I don't even know if I can get the sump that far to the right for a straight pipe

Ahh gotcha. Well let me know how it goes and post pics if u have any questions/concerns.. I know it helped me a ton when I was plumbing my tank!

DanS180 said:
No problem!

I wouldnt reccommend puttin valves on your overflow you control flow by using a valve on on return side

say for instance you try and close a valve a lil bit on your overflow to slow down flow and perhaps a snail or even a small fish makes its way into overflow (which does happen from time to time) ( ive found fish in my sump via overflow btw)gets caught on the small opening of a semiclosed valve you can expect a flood imo never constrict overflow

danbstrong said:
I wouldnt reccommend puttin valves on your overflow you control flow by using a valve on on return side

Absolutely. Put ball valves on the return. Think about if you're doin maintenance on your tank and accidentally bump one shut on the drain, your sump will overflow your main tank. Worst that can happen of you close it on the return is... Well nothing really :cool:

DanS180 said:
No no no I didn't mean I had ball valves on my drain lol I have them on my return lines

Right on lol you want water flow freely as possible on overflow drains

danbstrong said:
Right on lol you want water flow freely as possible on overflow drains

I have 90° on my drains no big deal i do reccommend fiter sock tho it helps polish water and the big thing for me was it keeps microbubbles down

danbstrong said:
I have 90° on my drains no big deal i do reccommend fiter sock tho it helps polish water and the big thing for me was it keeps microbubbles down

Another piece of advice is keep flow thru sump no more than 800g / hour so your skimmer can work efficiently jmo

danbstrong said:
Another piece of advice is keep flow thru sump no more than 800g / hour so your skimmer can work efficiently jmo

I'm only going to be pushing 300 gph thru my sump... I'm a low n slow kinda guy, like when I BBQ! :cool:

I'm not sure how much I have pushing thru, its a 950gph pump and I have about 4ft to the top of the tank with a few elbows.. id say 750-800gph

Back
Top Bottom