Dried up and curled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I did my water change on my African tank the other day. The tank sits next to my 300 gallon tank. After I was done I went upstairs for about an hour, then I came down to feed all the tanks. When I came down I found an Otto from my 300 laying on the floor pretty dry and all curled up. He somehow jumped from my 300. I picked him up, he was hard and I looked in disbelief. I got a cup of tank water and put him in. While looking at him closely, just to inspect, he twitched! Made me jump. I swished to water around and he twitched again. I got a net and laid it over the tank with the netting in the water and I put him in. Added an air stone. Every now & then I would get a twitch. After about 15 minutes he was straight but still not moving much, having trouble staying up-right. 10 minutes later he was trying to get out of the net, I released him and he swam off. That was 4 days ago and he seems fine.

Morale of the story, don't assume anything with these fish, give them every chance you can, they may surprise you. I could have easily just tossed him.

Good for you for not giving up on him. Isnt it amazing how they can shock you with things like this but at the same time can die easy. The things we do not know!

I'm still amazed by it. I think what helped was the fact that all of my ottos have been with me for a number of years and that he was very healthy.

Congrats on the retrieval.......a good thing you came back down to feed. It must have been in good shape before its little escapade.

really glad to hear you gave him the chance, and he responded for you. You and your fish have a love story. :)

Lucky lucky fish! I agree never count the fish out until you have tried everything. I have had a fish or two suprise me as well. Great story.

congrats on the revival...I learned the never give up lesson, or we would have been buying all new fish...but thats on a different thread, I wont steal this one...

Congrats again

Back
Top Bottom