Drift and Cholla Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dare2smile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering - what's your guys opinion on cholla wood? It's new to me and I like the idea, but I saw an old (dissolved??) one online and it looked super pointy and scary. I'm trying to pretend to aquascape before adding shrimp and a betta, but if it were to end up broken, I wouldn't want to impale anyone or rip fins.

As for normal driftwood, I've always wanted to have it, but never actually bought any. If I just go to a local river, pick up a piece and boil the heck out of it, would I be okay? I've always been a bit scared lol. And obviously, wood from the ocean does not go in a freshwater tank, no matter how long it gets cooked, right?

I have cholla wood in all my shrimp tanks. This is a 3" piece I got from Han Aquatics. I tucked a bit of najas into one end and the shrimp love it. Haven't seen any changes in the wood yet.

img_3157843_0_693a2e45c86332cebff1058180782a09.jpg

Good to know! I really want to do shrimp for the first time, which is why I'm so interested in the cholla wood.
And that piece is adorable! Where'd you get such a small one?

Good to know! I really want to do shrimp for the first time, which is why I'm so interested in the cholla wood.
And that piece is adorable! Where'd you get such a small one?

Han Aquatics

Carries lots of shrimp related products: cholla wood, indian almond leaves, alder cones. I've also gotten plants from him, decent prices and good quality.

If you take wood from a lake, make sure it's very hard.. If you can push your fingernail into it then it's too soft and will eventually rot. Then you can boil the heck out of it.

Also *almost* all driftwood, store bought and home made, releases tannins (my cholla wood didn't release any!). It turns your water an ugly brown. It's harmless to fish and plants. It will eventually go away in a few months. More boiling helps it go away faster.

Another thing you might see is a buildup of white fuzzy gunk on the wood. This is bacteria and it is also harmless but extremely painful to look at in your beautiful tank. I took mine out every day and scrubbed it off in some tank water.

I never had the white fuzz or tannins with my cholla wood.

Some people sun dry the wood as an extra precaution to kill parasites.

Good luck!

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

This is a 3" piece I have in my red rili tank. Loosely tied some willow moss to it. The shrimp really do like it and it gives fry a place to hide. Not sure if you can tell in this pic but there's actually a shrimp inside at the open end.

img_3158596_0_031e490c6b8112acdcb7bd3089b25141.jpg

Theresa - That's a fantastic website!! I wouldn't be surprised if I placed an order there soon haha <3 and yes, I see your adorable little shrimp's head! So cute!! Did you get your shrimp from that site too?

CoolGuy - wow. That's a lot of really helpful info, thank you!! I didn't know about the hard vs soft and you can bet I woulda flipped my lid if I saw white fuzz. I think I'll take a trip to the river soon.. :D

Back
Top Bottom