driftwood as pH buffer - how soon to see change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norcalg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I am just getting started and currently fish-less cycling a 50 (55?) gallon tank. We have well water and the pH is consistently 8.0 - 8.2. I'd be more comfortable with that consistency at a lower point so have added two 12" pieces of driftwood to the tank for decorative purposes as well as trying to buffer the pH. How soon should I expect to see the results? Is there a point where the pH will not drop anymore and that will be my new level? Is there anyway to estimate that instead of just testing? I don't want to add fish at the end of my cycle if the pH is going to fluctuate.

Also, I have a collection of rocks currently in a bucket of well water and the pH has dropped in that bucket - from 8.0 to 7.4. Can I assume that one of the rocks in there is doing a lovely job of pH buffering and add it to the tank? Or can I over-buffer with rocks and driftwood?

Any info appreciated -
Thank you,
~g

Driftwood will not have that much of an effect. I do not know of any rocks that will lower PH. Have you tested the tap after sitting out for 24 hours? What is the KH and GH of your water?

rich311k said:
Driftwood will not have that much of an effect. I do not know of any rocks that will lower PH. Have you tested the tap after sitting out for 24 hours? What is the KH and GH of your water?

I did test the water after 24 hours and it was pH 8.0-8.2. I don't know the KH and GH yet. Guess those should be the next tests, huh? Our tap water runs through a softener so I bypass it. The rock could be anything. It was salvaged from a remodeled geology lab. :)

Thanks,
~g

Back
Top Bottom