Driftwood Curing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holokai

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently trying to cure some driftwood to put into my tank. I left it in a bucket last night, and when I woke up, the water was so yellow and cloudy I couldn't see the bottom of the bucket.

today I scrubbed it, and left it in a bucket under hot running water, for about 15 minutes. Are there any other steps I can take to ensure that my tank doesn't turn that nasty yellow color?

- Chris

I forgot to mention, it isn't new driftwood, it's actually been used in a friends tank for quite a while. then he took the tank down and the driftwood has been in a closet.

That should lessen the time it takes, shouldn't it? Would it be a bad thing to put it in the tank if it's not fully "cured?"

I don't think I can boil the pieces, they are a bit too large.

Thanks

- Chris

If you can not boil it in a pot then I would pour boiling water into the bucket you are soaking it in. This will kill any bacteria that may have been in your friends tank. I would soak it for a few weeks in hot water to see what happens. If the water is still yellow I would not use it because the wood may be to deteriorated.

Hmm... I've been told by a few that the wood will always release the yellow stuff. So confusing.

I was also told that running Carbon would help with the discoloration. Since I run carbon anyways, that seems good to me. any thoughts on that?

- chris

You'll never get all of the tannins out, but after doing many water changes while it's in your tank, the color will just go away or become so faint that you don't notice it anymore. Boiling it just makes the process go faster and sterilizes the driftwood, so you might be getting fungus on it if you boil it.

Well, I've dropped the pieces into my tank. Here's to hoping. Thanks for all the advise, folks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Chris

I know I'm a tad late, but i'll throw my two cents in anyway.

I recently put 3 pieces of driftwood into my tank, having only soaked them for an hour in hot water. After about 2 weeks and only a 10% water change, the water in the tank was definately brownish / yellowish and just looked stale. I did a 50% water change and the tank is crystal clear. I agree with Mike... i think over time, the water will stop turning yellow...

Back
Top Bottom