driftwood in Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silllywilly86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I use the light brown wood in my tank? Like the stuff they put in reptile terrariums

Can I use the light brown wood in my tank? Like the stuff they put in reptile terrariums

I wouldn't use the wood they sell for reptiles. It's usually like grapevine etc and will break down and also probably never sink.

I have Manzanita driftwood in my tank.

It depends on the type of wood. My lfs sold mopani wood in the reptile section and it's great aquarium wood.

Driftwood produces tannis and humic acid which softens the water and drops your PH. Lake Malawi has hard alkaline water. IMO using driftwood would be counterproductive as you would have to use product and buffers to. Prefect your water chemistry.

Driftwood produces tannis and humic acid which softens the water and drops your PH. Lake Malawi has hard alkaline water. IMO using driftwood would be counterproductive as you would have to use product and buffers to. Prefect your water chemistry.

I agree and at the same time respectfully disagree(if that makes sense)I have, I think about 6 pieces of driftwood in my tank and never used anything to "buffer" my water. Now I did in the beginning thinking I needed to but after running out of products I just went with water changes. Everything was fine.

I state though... I recently had to start buffering because my tap water pH dropped to 6.0 which is just way too low.

Bottom line is many many use driftwood with no issues and stability is key. Most cichlids at a pet/fish shop are in neutral pH...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums11717.html

Last edited:
I use the api salt and buffer in all 3 of my tanks and always have. I thought that was what I had to do. My water is always good and clear and the parameters are always good. I may just stay away from the wood

The acid leached out of the driftwood should not have much of an effect on the pH of your water if it is highly buffered. My mbuna tank had a kH of 14+. It would take a whole lotta driftwood to bring the pH from 8.2 to 8.1

I have 6 LARGE pieces of driftwood in my 180g frontosa tank and my ph is sitting at 8.4. The driftwood has had no effect on my ph what so ever. I'd say use it but keep an eye on your ph for a little while till you know what'll happen.

I had a piece from my lfs once before and it bled like crazy even after they soaked it for 2 weeks. Idk I'm just worried

Soak it first so your water don't.turn brown.I.got.excited and put my dw in early and my water turned brown

I asked people on.this forum if it.would hurt.any thing.and every one says no

And they say the colour well go away with water.changes

I agree and at the same time respectfully disagree(if that makes sense)I have, I think about 6 pieces of driftwood in my tank and never used anything to "buffer" my water. Now I did in the beginning thinking I needed to but after running out of products I just went with water changes. Everything was fine.

I state though... I recently had to start buffering because my tap water pH dropped to 6.0 which is just way too low.

Bottom line is many many use driftwood with no issues and stability is key. Most cichlids at a pet/fish shop are in neutral pH...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums11717.html

I completely agree but most good LFS keep their rift lake cichlids in a separate system at a slightly alkaline PH. Any tank bred specimen will do fine in neutral water and again I agree stability is key. My point was that if the driftwood did affect your water parameters then you would have to correct it. IME even captive bred rift lake cichlids do not do to well in less than neutral PH and in softer water. They usually will not breed.

The acid leached out of the driftwood should not have much of an effect on the pH of your water if it is highly buffered. My mbuna tank had a kH of 14+. It would take a whole lotta driftwood to bring the pH from 8.2 to 8.1

Lol with that kind if buffering capacity it would take super concentrated humic acid ad tannis to mess with your params.

Back
Top Bottom