Driftwood procedures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so i bought a good sized piece of driftwood friday for my new 10 g and have been soaking it in a bucket if water outside since. My questions are, when should i stop soaking it? And afterwards, should i let it dry out in the sun for a day? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

I suggest boiling it then letting it soak for a few weeks to let most of the tannins out.

And boiling it wont hurt the wood? The guy at the pet store said just to flat out soak it and change water whenever it became brownish and then when it is clear i could add it. Is that bad advice?

It is not bad advice, you'll just be changing the water alot, I suggest the same as Oscar, Boil it a bunch of times, and then let it soak outside for a few weeks, changing the water like every 4 days, you'll be happier if you do. Water in a 10g tank can get brown real fast, unless you are going for the blackwater look.

Either way is ok. Boiling the wood gets the tannins (the brown stuff) out of the wood quicker. I bought some driftwood this weekend. Boiled it until the wood stopped leaking tannins (about 3 hours) and its already in my tank. I have had large pieces that were too big to boil and had to soak them for weeks!

If it is too big for a pot you can just pour boiling water over it while its in a bucket or in the bathtub.

i learned to love the tannines i got a candy pink light and tea coloured water make brightly coloured fish look really vivid

Hmm thats a different idea! So i have been soaking my driftwood in hot water for days.. How do i know when its done?? Little bits if wood break off occasionally but the water is always clear!

If the water is clear its ready for your tank. The bits of wood breaking off is normal.

Would i regularily have to clean those little bits off of my sand? Or would the filter help

Sorry to hop on this, but do you need to get all the bark off before putting it in the tank? I found some driftwood that still has bark. Shoulod I chip it all off before soaking the wood?

I would suggest so! Dont want it falling offnin your tank now! It could come off when your boiling it though

You can take if off but I see no harm in it falling off while it's in your tank.

No matter what anyone says, there is no one size fits all solution. I've had driftwood be tannin free from the start, and I've had some soak for weeks with complete water changes every other day before clearing up. And a little bark falling off is not a problem. Of course it's "dead" it's driftwood.

If all the wood chips comenoff in my tank, would PWC's get it out eventually?

Back
Top Bottom