Driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a tree with some very nice branches to use as driftwood. Do I need to let it dry out after I chop it from the tree or can I use it right away?

I got a tree with some very nice branches to use as driftwood. Do I need to let it dry out after I chop it from the tree or can I use it right away?

The best wood to use is wood that's been floating in the water for a couple years... That type of wood has been rotted out already and the left over is hard wood safe for aquariums.. I have found driftwood in my reservoir behind my house im using it in my 44g pentagon with my discus.. The problem with wood you just cut is it will rot if you put it in your fish tank.. You need to debark it first.. also make sure it isn't from a pine tree or a tree with sap in it .. You can boil the pieces to see if it has sap... I would boil it anyway to disinfect it...

I boiled my driftwood for like 4 hours on each side to make sure I killed all bugs and parasites and so forth.

The barks look like they will fall off sooner or later so I just peeled it all off and let it dry for a few days.
And I'm supposed to soak the wood in water for a week or two for it to not be buoyant, according to sources.

Back
Top Bottom