Driftwood questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tanks (20 long and 10 gallon) have been running for about 6 months. I started out with the classic fake coral decorations and plastic plants. I've slowly been adding more real plants, and I'm thinking about maybe a couple small pieces of driftwood.

I like the look of the natural/planted tank, but I don't want to toss everything I currently have just yet. I could be convinced to trade out some of the cheesier looking plastic plants though. :)

I live on a creek off of the Chesapeake Bay, and I'm sure I could take the kayak out and find some interesting pieces of driftwood laying around. I've read on a few different threads here that it is safe to use if you boil it, but I can't seem to find the thread I was looking for. I've scanned through the planted section, and it's a little overwhelming and more technical than what I can do right now. So...

How long would it need to be boiled to be safe? What about pieces that are too big to boil?
How does it affect the ph? My ph already seems to be on the low side, and isn't exactly stable, as I'm on well water with a softener. I've seen it read anywhere between mid 6 to low 7 range.
What is/are ...tannis, I think it was called? How does that affect the tank?
Any other tips a totally clueless person should know? Haha.

Also, for the plants, when do you need to start adding fertilizer/flourish? It's not a fully planted tank, and I don't really want a jungle that'll need a lot of maintenance, I just want them to be healthy. They seem to be growing ok as is, new growth and all that. Is it just when you get to whatever point when there are more plants than nutrients in the water, that ferts need to be added?

Thanks!

Awesome, thank you. it's harder to google something when you can't remember what it's called. :)

Back
Top Bottom