Driftwood ready?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went down to the river the other day because it was frozen and I found an awsome piece of drift wood. I brought it home and took what little bark as left on it off. Then I scrubbed it with a brush then sprayed it with medium pressure water. It's all clean so now I'm boiling it. I don't have a big enough pot so I have to flip it. But some parts of it smell kinda bad. Will it go away with the boiling or is it ok to put in my tank after about an hour of boiling?

Just hold it a minute!! lol First - what kind of wood is it and is it possible it has ever been exposed to chemicals? Some wood is not compatible with the tanked fish, lilac, orange, grape.... Also, wood is very absorbent of different chemicals, and after boiling they could still be inside. When you have figured out the above... and it is safe.... then boil it until the water runs clear! Mine took three days. Then put it cold water for overnight at least! The wood will hold the heat. Don't want to heat up the fish too much! Good luck!

The wood is kinda orange and no it hasn't been exposed to chemicals it was in the river when it was frozen. Also I boiled it until the water was clear. I still have to let it sit in cold water though.

The wood is kinda orange and no it hasn't been exposed to chemicals it was in the river when it was frozen. Also I boiled it until the water was clear. I still have to let it sit in cold water though.

I'd recommend cold, dechlorinated water.

That's what I'm using. But now that I'm thinkin about it I might just get some rocks and finish of with a nice hard scape. Any recommendations on finding or buying rock?

That's what I'm using. But now that I'm thinkin about it I might just get some rocks and finish of with a nice hard scape. Any recommendations on finding or buying rock?

Don't do to your lfs. They charge 3-5 $ a pound here for rock. Whereas I went to my lov far supply/ landscape place and paid .35 cents a lb for sweet river rock. They had slate same price. Pic below.

Attachments

• image-354414705.jpg
    image-354414705.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 86
Question

I was going to go to a landscaping place but was woried some rock may be treated with lime or some other chemical???

I was going to go to a landscaping place but was woried some rock may be treated with lime or some other chemical???

The one I went to seemed like all natural and I didn't think to ask. I rinsed all the rock with the hottest water under faucet till it ran clear off it and had no problems since. As long as you rinse and rinse I don't see a problem. Some of mine still had mid on them

So do you think I should use the wood I would post a pic but it won't let me

Thanks that info. helped alot I have a landscaping place around the corner from where I live and they are alot cheaper than pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom