Driftwood, what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far no colors in the tank, and no unwanted friends. How long should you wait to introduce platy fry to a tank? They are currently in a breeder net growing. And I'm hoping to get down to the river behind my apartment block and dig up some more drift wood. I should just soak it in hot water as I did with te one I purchased correct?

Chronos313 said:
So far no colors in the tank, and no unwanted friends. How long should you wait to introduce platy fry to a tank? They are currently in a breeder net growing. And I'm hoping to get down to the river behind my apartment block and dig up some more drift wood. I should just soak it in hot water as I did with te one I purchased correct?

I have never aquired driftwood from my own neighborhood. I would be a little care about that. I have a stream in my condo complex but it isn't natural so not sure what chemicals they use. For that stuff I would for sure give it a boil and maybe a 1 day soak after. I've only had live plants once and it didn't last long as I couldn't keep up on the maintenance. I love em though they look much better. I would think it shouldn't matter once your tank is stabilized. I put pretty new plants in my tank right away once water was established. Just remember the smaller the easier it is for your fish to eat.

I have two pieces of driftwood that I made that have never leached anything. I got some really sun bleached oak I found at a local park, soaked it until it sank (no tannins) and boiled it for two hours. Even when I boiled it no tannins came from it. My best argument is that first of all oak doesn't have many tannins and if its sun bleached the tannins some how go away? But DIY DW is a great project!!

pleechford said:
I have two pieces of driftwood that I made that have never leached anything. I got some really sun bleached oak I found at a local park, soaked it until it sank (no tannins) and boiled it for two hours. Even when I boiled it no tannins came from it. My best argument is that first of all oak doesn't have many tannins and if its sun bleached the tannins some how go away? But DIY DW is a great project!!

That sounds cool. Got any pics if that?

image-2351031153.jpg

Here is the DW. Sorry my tank is all jumbled up right now. I have a power head for my co2 in the middle of the two pieces to hide it (as best as possible).

I have 2 albino corydoras, 1 green Cory, 4 long fin danios, 5 zebra danios, 2 neons,3 albino neons, 5 rummynose tetras and 6 or 7 platys. I do pwc's every 3 days and my levels are perfect. I may be overstocked but I manage my tank well, I'm hoping to upgrade in time to a 55 if I can get one at a reasonable price.

Chronos313 said:
I have 2 albino corydoras, 1 green Cory, 4 long fin danios, 5 zebra danios, 2 neons,3 albino neons, 5 rummynose tetras and 6 or 7 platys. I do pwc's every 3 days and my levels are perfect. I may be overstocked but I manage my tank well, I'm hoping to upgrade in time to a 55 if I can get one at a reasonable price.

Oh ok lol Just making sure:)

I have 2 platys in a ten gallon right now as well for breeding, and I think they are holding passed 28 days now, teasing me cuz I can see the eyes in the egg sac I believe. I'm also getting a second ten gallon for my kids room so that'll help rehome some fish. Probably a platy or two. And some others. But they want 250 for a 55 here and I'm just hoping to find a used one for the right price.

pleechford said:
Here is the DW. Sorry my tank is all jumbled up right now. I have a power head for my co2 in the middle of the two pieces to hide it (as best as possible).

That looks sweet. Im digging the plants to. I wish I had an aquarium green thumb. Mine only extends to my condo patio. Haha. Looks cool.

pleechford said:

Nice picture did you use an slr?

Back
Top Bottom