driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deeeyeseekaywhy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a 2"x2" ish chunk of driftwood. Due to its size i was unable to boil it but i did soak it for 3 days in a tub using hot water. I didn't place it in my tank until the water ran clear but it is making my tank brown. I use activated charcoal in my filter. What do i need to do to get clear water again? Is it just a waiting game at this point?

You can try adding purigen as a filter media or wait it out.

Have you checked your ph to make sure it isn't causing a ph drop?

It's really a waiting game. Some woods, like mopani take forever and a day to finish leaching tannins. You can add purigen and do more frequent water changes if the yellowing bothers you too much. Personally I don't mind tannins in some of my tanks, the only one I have issues with is in my brackish tank. We re-did it at the first of the year and I still have some yellowing. For some reason, this bugs me. *Shrugs*

+2 on the purigen. I had absolutely no luck with carbon removing tannins. Purigen helps though and is rechargable; Clean it, and you can keep reusing it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom