Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I'm thinking about doing some Anubias on driftwood in this pics. Will this driftwood be okay in tank if I scrub/soak in water about 120 degrees? It has been dead for a while and has no signs of fungus or disease.

This is the branch.

Attachments

• image-2446140881.jpg
    image-2446140881.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1315841889.jpg
    image-1315841889.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 145
It looks like it's alright. If i have wood, i scrub it off really hard, then i soak it for 12-24 hours in bleachy/soapy water. Then i rinse it off, and do the same thing with boiling water. then i rinse it off in tap water, then in aquarium water. then i put it in. thats just me

Avoid soap completely. Bleach or vinegar will work, but probably aren't necessary. A good scrub under hot water followed by a 24 hour test has yet to fail me on hardwoods.

Your Driftwood

Hello lilj...

Your driftwood looks a little narrow to me. I really don't think the plant will attach well to a branch. You really need a much wider piece if you're going to have success with Anubias. The plant needs some fairly deep areas in the wood, so the roots can be properly attached. If you look at the pieces of driftwood the plant companies are using, it will give you a good idea of the size and shape of wood you need.

B

Anubias, ferns, and mosses will attach to a narrow piece of wood just fine.

Ok. Thanks. I know that ideal driftwood is much larger, but this is the only clean piece I could find.

Oh. Btw. It's been in for a few days, no probs, except it won't sink! I have it attached to a suction cup. How long will it take to become "waterlogged".

Your Driftwood

Good morning lilj...

Pieces of wood will need to be weighted down with rocks. I get larger pieces of driftwood around the local riverbeds and even the largest pieces need rocks to weigh them down, but that's a neat part about aquascaping. It will take some time for the the wood to become saturated, but I just leave the rocks. The tank looks good with them. Using small suction cups will work, but it doesn't look natural. I tried the cups and replaced them with rocks.

Use your own judgement and get a little creative.

B

Back
Top Bottom