Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a nice piece of drift wood I got with a purchase of my 55 and was wondering how I know of its a good piece of wood, so far it floats :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure I understand exactly. What do you mean by 'good'. It floats because you need to waterlog it. Soak it in a tub of hot water and/or put it through the dish washer (no soap!). You can also boil it if it's small enough.

Cool. I meal like how do I know if it doesn't have well idk anything bad on it, also how long should I soak it?

Bubbles0oO said:
Cool. I meal like how do I know if it doesn't have well idk anything bad on it, also how long should I soak it?

Oh ok. :) the boiling/soaking in hot water/dishwasher will kill the nasties. Also a good long bake in the hot sun works. You don't have to soak it but most choose to to water log it. It can take days to months to do so. You can tie, screw or glue slate to the bottom of it ot sit rocks on top if your too impatient to wait for it to sink. I am! Soaking also leeches tannins. Tannins won't harm anything but they will stain the water a tea color. In some cases (soft water) the tannins can bring the pH down a touch.

Back
Top Bottom