Driftwood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best place to get a nice piece of dw for my 75g?
I heard that it isn't good to get a piece from outside your house. True or no?
My lfs sells nice pieces of reptile wood for your reptile tank(duh;)) could I get one of these and boil it/get it ready for my tank?

Any other info would be great!!!!

Its good to find out the specific type of DW your LFS is selling, especially if it's intended or designated to be used for reptiles. Malaysian DW is a great option found to be available at a lot LFS. It's fairly dense and doesn't leech a lot of tannins after boiling it a bit. On the other hand, another commonly found DW at the LFS is mopani, which I've read to leech a lot of tannins despite boiling for a long time. Both are still a good option.

Manzanita is another good option if you like the branchy look.

I personally do not recommend using random wood found in nature unless you're really good at identifying the type of wood. Some are just not suitable as they can rot, have potential pesticides, chemicals, or other nasty microbes that i wouldn't like to risk introducing to your tank.

I ordered from drs foster and smith and got Mopani small and medium sizes for 1/2 the cost of my lfs. If you are picky then choose a piece you love and pay full retail, because returning these suckers isn't worth the shipping if you get an "ugly" piece.

I honestly liked both of mine but I'm Cheap, not picky. Thus, very satisfied.

Sorry I'm on my phone, but check out the driftwood ad from this site. Got 3 pieces and loved them. Manzanita Driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom