Drilling a tank for a later sump addition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im about to transfer all my livestock from my 29 gallon reef to a 30 gallon tank that my friend gave me. Im not going to do a sump right away but im planning on it later down the road. Is there a way i can drill it now and put an overflow box in but plug up the holes? Maybe put some pvc to attach all the holes together

So long as it isn't tempered you can drill it now and just keep the water level low enough that it doesn't overflow. So if you are drilling the bottom just wait to cut the PVC pipe to the water level until you are ready for the sump. If you are drilling the side or back just keep the water level below the overflow.

It shouldn't be that low just enough below the water line for the sump that the aquarium don't overflow

Now the question is what to drill it for... Im thinkin about siliconing in an overflow box and drilling two holes in that. Then one pipe would be a full siphon and then the other is a backup. Its like a variation of the herbie. How does that sound?

TigerBarbs said:
Now the question is what to drill it for... Im thinkin about siliconing in an overflow box and drilling two holes in that. Then one pipe would be a full siphon and then the other is a backup. Its like a variation of the herbie. How does that sound?

Glass-holes.com has some good kits with templates and all. Worth looking at.

Back
Top Bottom