Drilling glass or cutting glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been having trouble trying to find someone to drill my tank for overflows. I was wondering if it would be easier to have them cut a C notch on the top lip and I could build a collection cup that would catch the water that went went over the side. I dont like the idea of a Siphoning overflow, there are too many variables for error there.
j

Drilling glass is tricky stuff. It can't be done on tempered material, which is used on most tank bottom panes.

The average lfs just sells predrilled tanks - they don't have the equipment or skilled staff to do custom work. I don't think auto glass shops would be of much help either.

I would check in the local yellow pages under "aquarium maintenance" or "aquarium manufacturers". Someone out there may be willing and able to do the job, or at least steer you toward someone who can. Good luck.

best place to check is your yellowpages for a glass supplier, not the ones for auto glass, but places that sell glass for furniture, windows, etc. most will drill tanks for you for a fee, some will refuse to drill your existing tank but offer you a pane of glass with a hole drilled in it (to avoid liability) that can be swapped out,
auto glass shops won't do it, all aquarium stores i have been too don't offer the service though.

Back
Top Bottom