Drinking water safe for tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a drinking water attachment on my sink and was wondering if i could use it like RO water. THANKS

I think the water would be fine to use...the only thing I would ask is are you sure you want to be running enough gallons to fill your tank and do regular water changes through a filter you purchased for drinking water? Not only might that get expensive in the long run, do you have any idea how long it would take to fill up a 5 gallon bucket that way? :D

But yeah, you could most likely use it...someone correct me if I am wrong! :?

Paul

It should be fine, I assume it is just an extra filter at your sink. What kind of fish are you keeping? What are your tap parameters? As stated above, this might just be a waste of time.

Well it is not on the end of the sink it is a separate thing to the left of it. The reason i would like to do this is because i am having problems with algae in my planted tank and dont want to make weekly trips to the LFS to bring back RO water.

oh. imo that'll take way too much time. my aunt/uncle/cousin/other cousin have one of f those. it comes out really slow. it takes 30 secs to fill up 1 (pretty small) cup of water

i know. but if the params are fine anyway (not saying they are) why take that time?

what are the params of the water anyway?

is this drinking water the filtered, low-ion kind? like, do they remove all the salt and minerals? cuz if so, that's not good for fish. they won't do well in de-ionized water because they need some ions for proper waste exchange, maintaining inner ion balance like in their blood and tissues and stuff, and other basic functions that come with living in water. remember osmosis from high school biology? if the concentration of ions is much higher in the fish's body than in the surrounding water, it will tend to move water into their tissues, or at least take a lot of effort on their part to prevent that.

you could mix that with your tap water or RO water, though. the tap water here is notoriously hard and i mix it about half and half with filtered drinking water that you can get $0.29/gal refills at the grocery store.

hope this helps!

Are you talking about a Brita or Pur water filtration system?

Be wary about the removal of all minerals and chemicals. Yes, even though they claim to remove harmful chemicals, it is not 100%. Especially the minerals. Why? I have the Pur water system at my home and filled my tank with Pur water. It is not a replacement for RO water.

While the water is 10x better than tap (no funky smell and tastes very good), I experimented with it after I noticed I still had mineral deposits on my tank after some initial evaporation. While the water is technically clean (didn't register ammonia or nitrites), it did register for GH, meaning minerals weren't 100% filtered out.

This isn't bad actually. Healthy tanks need a certain amount of minerals anyway, so you want to avoid total RO. I used my RO to lower the GH of my tank from like 14 down to about a current level of 8-9. The noticeable difference is less 'white film' deposits left about the tank surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom