Drip Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I have some questions about drip acclimation. What are the benefits of drip acclimation vs. putting the fish in a bucket and adding a little water every 5 minutes? So, is it 1 drop of water per second? How long does drip acclimation typically take? Also, if the room temperature is 66 F, and my tank water is 78 F, will the bucket temp be able to equalize? Thanks!

:thanks:

that IS drip acclimation, it just requires you to be present for the whole thing ;)
no idea about the rest, someone else can kindly help you out there xx

I do it with a pipette/turkey baster! Just because it's not practical to have a bucket near the tank because of where it is. So I float the bag for a while to equalise the temp, then take out a couple pipette dulls of old water and add a couple of my water, rinse and repeat every 5 or so minutes for a couple of hours.

Hi the idea of drip acclimatising is that the fish or invert is subject to a very very slow change in water parameters. The temperature shouldn't be an issue but maybe monitor it just to be sure. The speed of the drip depends on whether its a large fish fish or a smaller fish to be acclimatised,as it depends on the size of the container. i used this method to acclimatise my rays,so basically the ray was in a poly box,which was placed on the floor,then an air line was used to syphon the water in at about one drop per second,so it took a good hour before i was able to take the ray out of the poly box and place in aquarium. The amount of water should be at the very least trebled, so if the container holds 1 litre then look to syphon in at least 3 litres making sure the container can obviously take the extra water:)

+1 for drip acclimation. I use it for all my new fish. I'll usually double or triple the original water volume for hard fish and drip six to ten times the water volume for sensitive fish.

that IS drip acclimation, it just requires you to be present for the whole thing ;)
no idea about the rest, someone else can kindly help you out there xx

No, it isn't; drip acclimation is a much more gradual process than dumping water into a bag every 5 minutes. You use airline tubing and a bucket to drip water slowly out of the main tank to the bucket with the new fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom