Drop Checker, KH & PH tests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to C02 injection. I have a 36 gallon planted with limited space near the tank, so I purchased a small portable Fluval 88 system and a Fluval drop checker (no space for bigger system). All is going fine, both plants and fish look good after about 10 days. Here is my question: My drop checker (located on opposite end of tank from the diffuser) shows green. However, my KH is 5.5 and my Ph 7.6 (Ph usually runs closer to 7.4, this is just a couple days after water change). This indicates my C02 is low (about 4.1 or so) correct? I guess I am not sure why the KH test says I am on the low side, but the drop checker shows green. Any thoughts?

Ok far from planted expert(or anything)but,
4.1 to me says you used Toms table.(y)
Next the fluval Dc although with good reviews seems 'odd' IMO to be polite?
I use a cheapo Chinese glass thing myself(1/2 the price of fluval..).
The most important part to setting a DC is the use of 4dkh solution. Anything else leaves you suspect IMO?
Then I use ph reagent(API) to get blue without co2.

I would trust the table way more and increase co2 as long as you can monitor fish or know how to confidently raise co2 in small amounts.
Good luck and really hope the plant guys find you!

Ok far from planted expert(or anything)but,
4.1 to me says you used Toms table.(y)
Next the fluval Dc although with good reviews seems 'odd' IMO to be polite?
I use a cheapo Chinese glass thing myself(1/2 the price of fluval..).
The most important part to setting a DC is the use of 4dkh solution. Anything else leaves you suspect IMO?
Then I use ph reagent(API) to get blue without co2.

I would trust the table way more and increase co2 as long as you can monitor fish or know how to confidently raise co2 in small amounts.
Good luck and really hope the plant guys find you!

Yes, I did use the Tom Barr chart. Since I am new to it, I just googled drop checker and the fluval was readily available. Is it not accurate and does it not use the 4dkh solution? For ph I just the basic API test solution or are you speaking of something different? My c02 is running at about 2 drops per second. Fish are fine. I thought to leave it at that rate until the cartridge empties and see how the plants do. How soon do people see a change in plant growth after injecting c02? Mine look robust and healthy so a good sign so far. I guess there is no harm is waiting it out at the rate I am going since fish seem happy. I do also have root tabs in the substrate and dose a little Flourish about 2x a week as well.

Back
Top Bottom