Dry Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a good mix. There is copper in one of them so it wouldn't do if you are going to have shrimp.

If I buy this combo for PPS-Pro, how do I mix it up? I guess I need mixing bottles and distilled water.

As for the copper, as long as you don't go way over board over dosing it won't matter it's such a small amount.

And to mix you just look up how much you have to put in each bottle. Rivercats suggests that you get 3 of the mixing bottles so you can control your nitrates at phosphate more.

Also you need a digital kitchen scale to mesure everything by weight.

Ok well I have the scale. I guess I'll order this and search the forums for the correct formula of each bottle.

As for the copper, as long as you don't go way over board over dosing it won't matter it's such a small amount.

And to mix you just look up how much you have to put in each bottle. Rivercats suggests that you get 3 of the mixing bottles so you can control your nitrates at phosphate more.

Also you need a digital kitchen scale to mesure everything by weight.

I thought so too. Check out this:

Dosing Fertilizers with Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp .:. Information on dosing fertilizers in a planted Aquarium with Shrimp

He says over time, the copper laced ferts affected his shrimp. I tend to believe him. I've used copper ferts in my shrimp tank with no affect, but I fert maybe once a month with 75% water changes a week.

Ok well I have the scale. I guess I'll order this and search the forums for the correct formula of each bottle.

On his website, he has formulas for individual packets or he has the weight measurements/500 ml bottle. The dosing he does not supply. However, I would just email him and ask him about it.

I thought so too. Check out this:

Dosing Fertilizers with Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp .:. Information on dosing fertilizers in a planted Aquarium with Shrimp

He says over time, the copper laced ferts affected his shrimp. I tend to believe him. I've used copper ferts in my shrimp tank with no affect, but I fert maybe once a month with 75% water changes a week.

Was he dosing pps-pro? The idea of pps pro is so that your plants use all of the nutrients you put in every morning so there should be no build up of nutrients.

I am going to use these mixtures:
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro
I heard that Magnesium Sulphate is not necessary though. Do I just leave it out? I am going to be mixing these in 1 litre bottles, but I heard that I should use three bottles, to dose nitrates, and phosphates separately? Do I just just split those two up but use the same numbers as listed on the site?

I heard that Magnesium Sulphate is not necessary though. Do I just leave it out? I am going to be mixing these in 1 litre bottles, but I heard that I should use three bottles, to dose nitrates, and phosphates separately? Do I just just split those two up but use the same numbers as listed on the site?

It's not nessisary aslong as you gave good gh and kh levels

Was he dosing pps-pro? The idea of pps pro is so that your plants use all of the nutrients you put in every morning so there should be no build up of nutrients.

He was using CSM+B from aquariumfertilizer.com. I use this as well in my 40G. His shrimp started to die and lose color when he stopped using this, they recovered. It has trace amounts of copper.

I would keep them separate in the beginning so that if your plants do not respond as expected you can fine tune. Also, magnesium sulphate or epsom salt can be bought cheaply at any pharmacy section of your store for cheap. It's a good fertilizer but I don't know the specific dosages for tanks.

For example: The website says mix all the ferts except for the trace mix in one bottle, this includes 65 grams of Potassium Nitrate. So, do I mix 65 grams of Potassium Nitrate in a separate 1 litre bottle then?

I actually saw that they mixed all the ferts separately in 500 ml bottles. Are the instructions you are referring to on the main dry fert page or on another page? Please send a link if you can.

He was using CSM+B from aquariumfertilizer.com. I use this as well in my 40G. His shrimp started to die and lose color when he stopped using this, they recovered. It has trace amounts of copper.

Well yeah, it depends how you dose it though, pps-pro will be fine. If your dosing it with EI method though you will probably run into problems.

ok, let me take a look - will text in a minute, need to do a phone call.

Macro Solution

In 1 liter bottle: 59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate) 6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate) Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

In 1 liter bottle: 65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate) Fill with distilled or RO water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Micro Solution

In 1 liter bottle: 80 grams of CSM+B or equivalent trace element mix Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

Add 5ml of Excel/liquid carbon to every 250ml of macro and micro solution to keep mold//fungus from developing during storage.

Add 1ml of each solution to every 10 gallons of tank water every morning. Shake bottles before

If you want to use smaller bottles just adjust.

And basically you want a phosphate and nitrate test kit and you want to try to keep your

Phosphate: .5- 1 ppm
And
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm

So you can adjust your dosages according to your testing.

Back
Top Bottom