dry fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning to find my fish on floor. it freaked me out. it looked dead but when i picked it up i saw its fin barely move. so i put it back in water. a few hours later i found it alive and swimming. problem is will it recover and how can i help?

One of my bettas did that once. He lived for a while but he was a walmart betta so who knows what he really died from. Anyway I read as long as he was still wet chances are good.
EDIT: I read putting a water conditioner with a slime coat enhancer can help. Because of being in the floor his slime coat may have been comprimised which may allow germs in. Also what kimd of container is he is? He may be unhappy with his water conditions.

its not a betta fish it is a golden wonder killifish and it was barely wet.sorry for the confusion. and yes SHE is kept in a tank with a filter.

As miyavp said, adding some slime coat additives can help, but I wouldn't bombard the fish with additives. It's already stressed from that ordeal, extra things in the water could put it over the edge. Just keep up the water quality and hope for the best!

there is a hood on the tank. ive seen it jump before but only when there is food and when i clean the tank but other than that it never jumps out of the water. ive also heard that fish can jump out of water when water conditions arent right but ive done water changes at about 25%-30% and the other fish arent affected.

I woke up this morning to find my fish on floor. it freaked me out. it looked dead but when i picked it up i saw its fin barely move. so i put it back in water. a few hours later i found it alive and swimming. problem is will it recover and how can i help?
i still need help on how to solve the problem he is still alive but he is now upside down HELP!!!:nono:

Well sounds like his swim bladder got damaged when he was out of the water. You could start slowly adding some aquarium salt to the water and maybe a little extra stress coat. Make sure your water parameters are perfect. If he will eat you could try some peas to keep him from bloating might make him turn right side up. Hope it works

Sorry for your loss- it happens so quickly! I had some fish die on me just recently because of a stupid mistake I made....it happens. :(

Too bad that stinks. I had one jump out once and my dog ate it. Gross

Back
Top Bottom