Dry rock problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylover101

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my 1st saltwater tank its a biocube 14 i have been reading about the rocks i was going to use in the previous days my cousin cycled his tank with live rock live sand and dosed wih ammonia but later had trouble with hitchhikers so i decided to go with

Do i just treat it like uncured live rock where it has enogh die off to cycle from the die off ?

Also does it matter how long the rock has been dry and will it affect the cycle ?

So my question is can i cycle and cure my tank at the same time?

Also i read in another forum that form me to completley dodge 6 months of dealing with phosphates i should dip the dry rock in muriatic acid so i will be dipping the dry rocks but what about after im done what do i do do i just set up my tank with live sand and the now super clean dry rock and treat it like dry rock and let it cycle or what also. I do not want any live rock in my tank so will the live sand be enogh to seed the dry rock and also how long should it take to cycle and / or become live rock

Also i read that i shold just set up my tank live sad,dry rock and let it run for 30 days add bio spira wait 24 hors and add my first fish i was thinkig instead of adding my 1st fish ill,dose with drops of ammonia wich is what bio apira feeds on

If your using dry base rock just add it in , than add a good ammonia source of 4 PPM
now your cycle begins usually 4 to 6 weeks

So i dont have to dip it because i do not want phosphate problems in the future

the big water change after your cycle should correct that
I did do a fw dip just to remove any excess dust from rock when I added to my tank
it just minimizes cloudy water

Back
Top Bottom