Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smashley09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This past weekend, I added Duckweed and a few Elodia plants. I already have Ferns, Anubias, and Red ludwiga in the tank. I performed a 25% water change, fertilized and added the liquid CO2. My tank became cloudy after adding the Duckweed. When I came home lat night, all my fish (danios and angels) were at the top of the tank gulping air. So, I tested the water and all the levels are normal. I performed another 10% water change, and removed most of the Duckweed. (I had enough to cover the top of the tank.) This morning, the fish appear less stressed, but I would like to avoid a repeat. Any ideas what caused the sudden gulping?

Thanks!

Not sure, is there enough surface agitation? I have a lot of duckweed in my angelfish tank and they love it lol they eat it sometimes :) Also, my water is always crystal...hmm..

I have the output angled up to agitate the surface, so it was moving.

Were you using liquid carbon before? You might have ODed on that. Otherwise, nothing with plants can cause that reaction.

I am dosing daily with the CO2 per bottle recommendation and to the correct gallons.

Sure they weren't eating the duckweed. I covered the top of my 29 gallon with it and the mollies proceeded to eat it all. I have not a leaf left.

You may wish to add an airstone if you want to keep the duckweed (which my fish and shrimp LOVE!) Its possible that the duckweed was inhibiting the O2 transfer even thought the surface was agitated.

Back
Top Bottom