Duckweed.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazzyarizona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to live plants and would love some info on Duckweed. I really like the looks of it and, from what I understand, it grows in massive numbers. Is this hard to control in a tank ? Can it over take a tank ? Does it always float on the surface, no roots ?

Should I or shouldn't I ?

Thanks so much...
:D

jazzyarizona said:
I am new to live plants and would love some info on Duckweed. I really like the looks of it and, from what I understand, it grows in massive numbers.
Yes

jazzyarizona said:
Is this hard to control in a tank ?
Yes - Unless you happen to have a fish that eats it.

jazzyarizona said:
Can it over take a tank ?
Yes - It will take over your tank unless you have fish that eat it or are really stubborn about removing it at least every water change or are lucky enough to have a tank it doesn't like.

jazzyarizona said:
Does it always float on the surface, no roots ?
Yes and No - Yes it always floats unless it gets tangled in another plant, however it does have roots.

jazzyarizona said:
Should I or shouldn't I ?
You shouldn't - Unless you're planning on using it to feed a fish. There are several other species of floating plants that are much prettier and easier to control.

I believe jazzy wants to do fancy goldfish, and I think those eat duckweed, yes? Someone please chime in. I think she might be able to keep it in check if she's got some goldies to mow it. :)

I also think duckweed looks kind of neat in moderation, but given the chance it will take the place over like a pushy in-law. Which by itself isn't the end of the world until it starts clogging your filter and stuff like that...

I don't know if goldies eat the stuff. I kind of expect that they would...

Goldies, 'bows, and I believe rosy barbs will eat it. Usually eat all of it though. Farm it in a bucket if you want to have it as feed.

I could never build up enough to keep my goldfish from polishing it all off, leaving nothing available.

Thank you so much, everyone. I think I will leave duckweed off the menu. Purrbox mentioned other floating plants that are pretty and easier than duckweed. Can anyone tell me what they are ?

Thank you :lol:

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of floating plants over on PlantGeek. I'm enjoying Red Root Floater, Riccia, and Dwarf Riccia at the moment.

Thank you so much.... I have ordered Riccia but couldn't locate the other plants you have. The PlantGeek site is terrific !

Back
Top Bottom