Dumb Female Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treenab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Augh well it seems our remaining betta female has no idea... She is spawning with my male at the moment but she eats the eggs just as soon as the male puts them up. Oh and to make thigns worse this male just refuses to build a nest Augh... So we have a few bubbles with about 30 eggs, the female regains consciousness adn eats more than half the eggs tehn they go back embracing again...I don't think we will get many fry from this batch...

Update on our last "suprise" batch of fry... our inquisitive children wanted to look at the fry and let all but 2 fry into the big fish tank (they were still in the floating tank in the aquarium) So our fishies had a marvelous feed *sob*...

Heh, could be worse. When I was 3 I decided to feed my mom's tropical fish. The boxes the food came in looked an AWFUL lot like the lil boxes of Gerber baby food she used to give me. Yep. Dumped the entire box. I still have guilt LOL

You still have 2 babies *grin* I have a feeling there WILL be more on the way, hungry mommies notwithstanding.

Well treenab,

You can't say it hasn't been an adventure. The ups and downs of keeping tropical fish, but at least you can say that you have done it. Sorry to here that your female is eating the eggs, i'm affraid this happens from time to time but she will get it right in the end.

keep us posted.

Terry

Ahh the joys, yes LOL. It has been a fun time.. But at least we know now if we want to breed these fish we can!! Our lfs was saying they have been trying to breed them for years with no success!! Then for that matter they also didn't know that male bettas like to be in a tropical tank, not just a bowl grrrr Our tasmanian weather gets to less than 13*c (below freezing during the night) so this really makes me annoyed that the lfs is selling these fish without the correct information.. let alone keeping them themselves in the wrong environment.. OK off my soapbox *thump* sorry for teh stumble there....

We have around 30 eggs in a conservative count. Daddy has approx 5 bubbles holding them all up *sigh* so he is working hard because they keep falling, but there is nothing I can do about that now grrr Anyways this time I have him in a proper floating breeding box so he hasn't got that far to swim and get the eggs, we haven't lost the female this time as yet, she is swimming quite freely and eating well so looks good on that matter (was rather worried after losing the purple female.. BTW this one is red) Hopefully in a couple of days (less panic this time now we rae "experienced" LOL) we will have a few more fry to look after ;) This time the kids will be nowhere near them!!!!

Oh and we have 3 fry!!! woohoo... one was hiding in the wisteria... they are almost large enough to pop into the floating tank withouth being able to escape through the "ventilation" holes in the bottom of the tank yaayy!!!

Back
Top Bottom