Dumb Ol' Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently went to PETCO and bought 2 very nice pieces of malaysian driftwood. One of them needed nothing but a nice scrub to be added to the tank. But, the other one will not sink. I tried boiling it and soaking it. It just won't sink. It may be because it is hollow. But, I really like it. It has a tunnel going through it that my cory and upside-down cat would really enjoy. What are some methods for sinking this wood?

Pictures Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can, get a large rock to put on top that will hold it down. It should sink after awhile, but it could take a very long time.

You can also screw it to a piece of slate. Some places will let you have small broken slate for free and it is easy to drill screw holes in it with a masonry bit. Use stainless steel or epoxy coated screws.

I put a rock on it. It won't move and the rock won't crush it. I just hope it sinks on it's own after a while. I'll try the slate. Thanks for the suggestions.

Since it's hollow, could you stick some rocks or gravel inside to aid with submersion? But I so agree, that wood seems really dumb.

Back
Top Bottom