dumb question, how do you net fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was "trying" to move my neon tetra's from the 36 bowfront to the 40B. out of 13 I managed to net 2 after about 5 minutes.

what is the best method to net fish? I don't want to spend 20 minutes chasing them around tiring and stressing them and the other fish or is that a problem? I have a 2 1/2" net.

the other fish are 4 guppy, 2 gourami and 4 cory cats

haha netting fish is definitely an acquired skill. the key is a larger net, although yours seems pretty good. and as stupid as it sounds, you have to outsmart the fish. try sneaking up on it, or give them a little time to refresh. you just have to be fast also, you can use a second net in your other hand to spook them into the other net. I work at my LFS, and catching the fish took me forever to pick up.

1. Net them during a large water change which gives them less space.

2. Net them early in the morning when the lights come on as they are slightly disorientated.

3. Use 2 nets, the first net chases the fish into the 2nd.

4. Drop a toaster which is plugged in and the fish will float to the top!

Put some food in the tank and when the fish come to eat quickly scoop them up :) that's what I got told by my LFS

1. Net them during a large water change which gives them less space.

2. Net them early in the morning when the lights come on as they are slightly disorientated.

3. Use 2 nets, the first net chases the fish into the 2nd.

4. Drop a toaster which is plugged in and the fish will float to the top!

1. Agree, works well
2. Agree, I often use this trick
3. Never tried, one net is enough for me to try to work with
4. Ummmmm..........
What if you have a four slot toaster and a ten gallon tank? That toaster is not going to fit, better just stick with the first three options IMHO

I'd get a bigger net. 2.5 inches is pretty small. I think mine is like 8 inches across and I have no problems netting any of my fish. I moved my 72 this weekend and had all 20 fish netted in under 5 min.

I was "trying" to move my neon tetra's from the 36 bowfront to the 40B. out of 13 I managed to net 2 after about 5 minutes.

what is the best method to net fish? I don't want to spend 20 minutes chasing them around tiring and stressing them and the other fish or is that a problem? I have a 2 1/2" net.

the other fish are 4 guppy, 2 gourami and 4 cory cats

I've seen these red nets that claim fish can't see that particular shade which makes them easier to catch. I have a feeling this is hokum but I thought I'd see if anybody had any experience with them.

Yeah, I'll vouch for the red nets. They aren't "invisible" to the fish as advertised, but the fish definitely have a harder time seeing them. I use a 4 inch red net, and a 2 in blue net, therefore I use the 2 net method. Also, you can try baiting them with food in the net maybe.

Honesty the best trick I've found and often use is to turn the lights off for about fifteen minutes (make sure the room is dark as well) then turn the lights back on. This will basically stun the fish making them easy to net.

I always use a clean cup and a free hand, I chase the fish into the cup with one of my hands and scoop them out like ice cream, I've noticed they don't get as scared with the cup, but they do run from my hand, this leaves less room for error or injury! Good Luck!

You can use 2 nets and corner them with both. You can use food and bait them. You could also do it when they're sleeping. Or just use one net and corner them and press them against glass tight and raise it up to above the surface.

Edit: just read others posts, there are some duplicates - sorry

thanks all. I got a second bigger net, big enough to get Moby Dick. The guy at PetCo asked why I needed such a big net, I told him what I was up to he seemed skeptical to my plan. LOL

So, I set the big net in in the tank waited a minute snagged 3 right off the bat. "hey this is going to be a piece of cake" yeah right. the others caught on real quick what I was up to. I tried corralling them with the second net into the big one, no dice, they'd charge toward the big net, then at the last second they whipped around the big net leaving me empty handed. I persisted by keeping the not so bright one's distracted with my hand outside the tank and one by one I caught them, took about 25 minutes. The last one, ahh this guy was smart, he kept dogging the net never giving me time to get set up. I guess I tired him out or he got tired of the game and missed his brothers. He finally just let me scoop him up.

on a side note, I guess the other fish (guppy, gourami and cory cats) figured I wasn't after them, only the tetra's, so they didn't bother moving too quick when I was in the hunt.

yeah tetras can be quick. I am glad you outsmarted them though!

Back
Top Bottom