Durso issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
M almost ready to give up on this...lol. One of my durst drains is silent, the other is like a loud bong. The quiet one feeds into about 7 feet of one inch pipe. It drops 6 niches then travels about 6 feet then elbows to a 2 foot drop. The noisy one drops straight from the bulkhead into the sump, about a 2 foot drop straight down. Why is one silent but the other gurgles like crazy? I've adjusted the air intake with no luck. I can't have the tank run this loud all the time....

How far down into the sump is the pipe that comes down? Is it under water or dropping from a distance? Are you using a filter sock?

I had it 2 inches below but then I cut it so it's 2 inches above the water line, no difference. The quiet one is still below.

The straight one has no back pressure to 'back the water up' in the pipe. The one with all the bends does. You will have to put a gate valve (not a check valve / ball valve) on it. Once you close it off some you should be able to adjust your air line to make it nice and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You will have to tweak it, but no. Your tank will stabilize with the outflow matching the return glow. It will just be quieter. That is why the one with the bends is quieter.

you can even try it out just by putting your thumb over the bottom of the drain a bit. Then get someone else to tweak the airline.

Mine are both underwater so I can't hear the water splashing into the sump.

Back
Top Bottom