Dwarf African Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are Dwarf African Frogs okay to put in a freshwater tank? Are they hard to keep alive. I was thinking about getting maybe a couple and putting them in my 29 gallon tank. I think that they are so cute and I love to watch them swim arounds. So what is your opinions on this subject?

I have an african dwarf frog in my 6 gallon fresh water tank. I've had him for about a year. He is really easy to take care of. I just feed him flakes and blood worms. Whatever I'm feeding the fish in the tank.

I also have an african dwarf frog in my 20 gallon fresh water tank. He's been with me for about 3-4 months and is doing fine.
I also had 2 in a 2.5 gallon hex tank a few years back. I didn't know anyhting at all about caring for fish, so I never added any declorinator to the water and I would tear the tank down about once a month to clean it and I would add new water to it all the time. Both frogs lived for just over a year. It is my opinion that african dwarf frogs are pretty hardy if they can live that long, enduring the abuse that I put them through.
I feed my dwarf frogs sinking shrimp pellets. They seem to like them a lot. But they will also eat flake food that has sunk to the bottom of the tank (if the fish don't find it first).

They will go to the top on their own. They are actually small enough that they can just float on the top, if they want to.

I had one, but he died. I think he starved to death. He was really skinny. When I first got him, I was overfeeding my fish. There was PLENTY of flakes floating around the tank. Then, when I realized I was giving too much food to the fish in my tank, I cut back on the food. Unfortunately, I didn't get any sinking pellets to feed him. I don't know what I expected him to eat, but I think that I could do better if I got another one.

Just make sure your little guy eats, k? :roll:

Do these type frogs need a place to get out of the water, or do they just always stay submersed in the water?

I believe that they are supposed to stay submerged; however My parents had one get out of the tank and crawl halfway across the living room before he was found. He did live the ordeal and stayed alive for several months after.

My frog has no place to get out of the water and is perfectly happy.

Mine doesn't leave the water ever, and he would have quite a fall if he decided to head for the living room floor because the tank is on the wall. He does spend time floating though.

They also stay small. Mine is less than a quarter in size.

Maybe I'll get one..

I was told not to get one because of my crabs, but my crabs don't screw with any of my other bottom dwellers, and the Peacock I have is a prime target since he sits half burried in stone most the time.

Should they be quarantined before being put into a tank. Didnt know if they can pass diseases on to the fish.

They, like any other fish, can pass diseases on to your fish. I didn't quarintine mine, but then again, I don't do that with any of my other fish. So, I guess, if you DO quarintine all new fish (it's a good idea, really) then the frog would be no different.

I think, from what I read here, 4weeks is best.

since alot of things cycle and show up within 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom