Dwarf Angelfish with popeye and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
My coral beauty angelfish has what i think popeye in the left eye, her fin is almost gone and he is flashing on the live rock, my sailfin tang has signs of ich to could I do a freshwater dip without killing them or is there something else i can do that i can do to save them.

is this a reef tank? if there is ich you will need to treat every fish, a fw dip won't be sufficient. do you have a quarantine tank?

Sounds like ich. Tangs and Angelfish have thin slime coats. When they get stressed parasites penetrate their coat much easier than other fish. I am personally not a big fan of fresh water dips because in my experience it only stresses out the fish more and aggravates the situation. Quarantine works best. This gives you time to treat sick fish, run the main tank fishless for parasite die-off and make necessary changes that caused ich in the first place.

You mentioned that the Sailfin has "signs of Ich too"...what are the signs? Ich is little pimple-looking white spots. Losing fins and pop eye don't usually go with Ich. So far, this does not sound much like Ich.

What size tank? What are your parameters? Any other fish? If so, how are they looking? Who has what symptoms?

Odds are, you will want to QT the fish and treat with copper or Hyposalinity. Leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks to allow whatever is in there to die off. Freshwater dips can help, but are not a cure.

is this a reef tank? if there is ich you will need to treat every fish, a fw dip won't be sufficient. do you have a quarantine tank?
is not a reef but there live rock/sand I dont have quarantine but im aready treating with Probiotics Marine Formula that worked last time i had ich do you think a good water change could work?

You mentioned that the Sailfin has "signs of Ich too"...what are the signs? Ich is little pimple-looking white spots. Losing fins and pop eye don't usually go with Ich. So far, this does not sound much like Ich.

What size tank? What are your parameters? Any other fish? If so, how are they looking? Who has what symptoms?

Odds are, you will want to QT the fish and treat with copper or Hyposalinity. Leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks to allow whatever is in there to die off. Freshwater dips can help, but are not a cure.
the symptoms are scratching on both fish and the angel wont eat but all the others will

If there are not those white spots, it is probably not Ich.

As far as treatment...most marine ailments will require treatment in a QT and leaving your display tank fallow. The fallow DT allows whatever was in there to die off, as it needs a host to survive. The treatment depends on the problem, but it is best to not treat in a DT.

Pop eye and cloudy eyes are usually a water quality issue. Maintain pristine water and proper nutrition and fish usually bounce back. I had an Annularus Angel with pop eye once and thought he was going to die, for sure. He got better and lived years after.

What are your parameters? Are there other fish? How long have these two been in there?

If there are not those white spots, it is probably not Ich.

As far as treatment...most marine ailments will require treatment in a QT and leaving your display tank fallow. The fallow DT allows whatever was in there to die off, as it needs a host to survive. The treatment depends on the problem, but it is best to not treat in a DT.

Pop eye and cloudy eyes are usually a water quality issue. Maintain pristine water and proper nutrition and fish usually bounce back. I had an Annularus Angel with pop eye once and thought he was going to die, for sure. He got better and lived years after.

What are your parameters? Are there other fish? How long have these two been in there?

Then what do you think it is? Is it fatal? And the fish are showing sighs of a fish are flashing on rocks what a fish with ich will do

Flashing can occur for several reasons. Disease, stress due to poor water conditions (or other factors), trying to dislodge food from rock or sand or even a simple itch.

I have not heard answers to the questions I have asked, so it is difficult to pin down a cause. I'm almost betting on water quality...goes with pop eye...causes stress which can cause fish not to eat, etc.

Oh sorry: I don't know the parameters but in doing a good water change tomorrow, also the tang has been in for 4 month and get angel for 2 weeks I also have a hawkfish clowns and a couple damsels that show no sighs all in a 75g

If they are not showing signs of Ich, I am going to guess stress and/or poor water parameters. Angels and Tangs seem to not handle stress or disease/parasites as well as other fish, so im not surprised that other fish are not as bad off.

I do not want to come across as condescending here, but a couple of thoughts/suggestions that i feel will probably help in the long run...

(1) IMO, in saltwater, you kinda have to have a test kit and know your parameters. I normally only check Nitrates, because if the tank was cycled properly, your ammonia and nitrites should stay zero on their own. I test weekly and do partial water changes about every 2 to 3 weeks in my FOWLR tanks. My nitrates tend to stay low doing that, so I stay with that routine. I know many do weekly PWCs and if you need to to keep your trates down, then that's what you do. Its almost impossible to just hope for the best without a kit though. Doing a water change is good, but you need to know what your tank is at afterwards...a day later...a week later. Pristine water is what your fish need now.

(2). I am a huge proponent for fish being in proper sized tanks. Stress kills. Almost every time you read a thread on here (or other sites), fish with issues are in tanks that are smaller than suggested. Hundreds of examples can't make that coincidence. I go with liveaquaria.com for reference, as I feel they tend to go bigger for their minimum sizes and I tend to see that bigger works better...smaller simply causes stress issues. People will start the "tang police" nonsense, but it holds true for any fish, not just Tangs. You have a Sailfin that should be in a six foot tank in a four foot tank. That causes stress, no matter how the fish seems. I also believe the size of the fish does not matter, so "its tiny" is not a factor (IMO).

Outside the Tang (which I would rehome if it makes it), you have damsels which are notorious for being bullies. Clowns can be territorial too. Bullies cause stress on tankmates. Hawks can be tricky sometimes...not a tank size issue as much as personality. I had a Flame in a 300g that chased any fish that got near his perch and he would chase them all the way to the other side of the tank.

If white spots appear, its another story, but for now, I would get a kit, start testing water regularly and try to shoot for zeros across the board. Pristine water should help the pop eye. I would get rid of the damsels to alleviate one of the stressors. I would rehome the Sailfin, especially if it had no signs of illness. Its simply not going to thrive in a 75g in the long run.

Sorry for being so wordy...again, I'm trying to help, not knock you.

If they are not showing signs of Ich, I am going to guess stress and/or poor water parameters. Angels and Tangs seem to not handle stress or disease/parasites as well as other fish, so im not surprised that other fish are not as bad off.

I do not want to come across as condescending here, but a couple of thoughts/suggestions that i feel will probably help in the long run...

(1) IMO, in saltwater, you kinda have to have a test kit and know your parameters. I normally only check Nitrates, because if the tank was cycled properly, your ammonia and nitrites should stay zero on their own. I test weekly and do partial water changes about every 2 to 3 weeks in my FOWLR tanks. My nitrates tend to stay low doing that, so I stay with that routine. I know many do weekly PWCs and if you need to to keep your trates down, then that's what you do. Its almost impossible to just hope for the best without a kit though. Doing a water change is good, but you need to know what your tank is at afterwards...a day later...a week later. Pristine water is what your fish need now.

(2). I am a huge proponent for fish being in proper sized tanks. Stress kills. Almost every time you read a thread on here (or other sites), fish with issues are in tanks that are smaller than suggested. Hundreds of examples can't make that coincidence. I go with liveaquaria.com for reference, as I feel they tend to go bigger for their minimum sizes and I tend to see that bigger works better...smaller simply causes stress issues. People will start the "tang police" nonsense, but it holds true for any fish, not just Tangs. You have a Sailfin that should be in a six foot tank in a four foot tank. That causes stress, no matter how the fish seems. I also believe the size of the fish does not matter, so "its tiny" is not a factor (IMO).

Outside the Tang (which I would rehome if it makes it), you have damsels which are notorious for being bullies. Clowns can be territorial too. Bullies cause stress on tankmates. Hawks can be tricky sometimes...not a tank size issue as much as personality. I had a Flame in a 300g that chased any fish that got near his perch and he would chase them all the way to the other side of the tank.

If white spots appear, its another story, but for now, I would get a kit, start testing water regularly and try to shoot for zeros across the board. Pristine water should help the pop eye. I would get rid of the damsels to alleviate one of the stressors. I would rehome the Sailfin, especially if it had no signs of illness. Its simply not going to thrive in a 75g in the long run.

Sorry for being so wordy...again, I'm trying to help, not knock you.

Actually the damsel are big bully's same with the hawk I'm not hoping to rehome the tang maby upgrade in the nearby future right now he is small enough for a four foot tank I just did a major water change so I hope that works well

Actually the damsel are big bully's same with the hawk I'm not hoping to rehome the tang maby upgrade in the nearby future right now he is small enough for a four foot tank I just did a major water change so I hope that works well

*are not, sorry

It sounds like this is doomed...something requiring pristine water and hoping a water change will do the trick is probably not going to work, IMO.

Hearing that a Tang will not thrive and going with "its okay, its small) is kinda the same idea. From what I have seen and read (hundreds of times), the size of the fish does not matter so much, especially for Tangs. When you hear about Tangs with issues, its almost never a Tang is a proper sized tank.

Back
Top Bottom