Dwarf Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Start with one. They are fine as loners. The slower you stock, the happier you'll be long term. It's tough though. lol

I personally would agree with no angels in a reef tank based on my experience. Can it work? Yes. Will it work? You won't know until you try, but you have to be prepared to suffer the losses and rehome the angel if you do try and it doesn't work. Oh, and "rehoming an angel" is synonymous with "taking everything out". ;)

This is not entirely accurate, there are angels which are completely reef safe. They just were not listed by the original poster. The angels in the Genicanthus group are reef safe. There are a few of this species to choose from. I have this one and it and it is and theoretically should always be reef safe. Bellus Angelfish, Ornate Angelfish - Genicanthus bellus The angels in this species are slightly larger than dwarf angels but smaller than most large angels.

Tank size maybe an issue that allows me to get away with what i do........... I have a figi clown and pair of gold stripe maroons which apparently are not a good mix but all are happy.........the afore mentioned dwarfs and trigger, i also have 6 tangs (3 yellow, 1 hippo, 1 blonde naso, 1 clown) but my system runs 1500 ltrs display is just shy of 1000 ltrs alone........... so my adice go as big as you can straight away then the boundaries may not be as problamatic.

Two words... tank size.

Agreed. No one mentioned the genus genicanthus because none of these fish are suitable for a small tank. The question specifically pertains to dwarf angels.

Agreed. No one mentioned the genus genicanthus because none of these fish are suitable for a small tank. The question specifically pertains to dwarf angels.

However, if a newbie was to see this thread and read the statement from above, "no angels in a reef tank" they may be lead to believe that all angels cannot be in any reef tank regardless of size of tank. That is why I said, the statement was not "entirely accurate." If we are taking tank size into consideration then "no angels in a reef tank" could have been changed to no angels in a tank that small. etc etc.... Reef or not would have nothing to do with it. ;)

I`m still sticking with my "No angels in the reef tank". I know folks that have had the Lamarks angel which is in the same genus and they had to be removed. This is solely only my opinion though. There will be no angels in my reef tank from experience. Not bashing anyone elses opinion. I understand where everyone else is coming from.

I`m still sticking with my "No angels in the reef tank". I know folks that have had the Lamarks angel which is in the same genus and they had to be removed. This is solely only my opinion though. There will be no angels in my reef tank from experience. Not bashing anyone elses opinion. I understand where everyone else is coming from.

Mike,
I respect your opinion however if you dig deep enough you will find reports of tangs eating peoples coral etc. So does this mean that "No tangs should be in the reef tank?". The angels in the species I mentioned like bellus or lamarks angels, eat out of the water column just like anthias do and they are generally reef safe like anthias are.

I fully understand and yes that`s true about the tangs but nowhere near as common as the angels. We will just have to agree to disagree. I totally understand your opinion and respect it.

Let me give you one very important piece of advice on the lawnmower blenny. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS. This is very important because most lawnmowers after the algea is gone in the tank will starve to death because they dont eat prepared foods too good. I know several people that have lost their`s after the algea is gone. Keep this in mine. Just ask the LFS to feed a little in the tank and see if he eats.

Bring him home if you want him. At least you know he wont starve to death when you bring him home.

Let me give you one very important piece of advice on the lawnmower blenny. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS. This is very important because most lawnmowers after the algea is gone in the tank will starve to death because they dont eat prepared foods too good. I know several people that have lost their`s after the algea is gone. Keep this in mine. Just ask the LFS to feed a little in the tank and see if he eats.

I will agree with you on this one :)

We agree 99% of the time anyway. :cool:

That's true. And what I like about you is that typically, if somebody else already stated something which you agree with you will acknowledge it and add to it, instead of just repeat it in your own words in another reply which basically restates what somebody else already said.... if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom