Dwarf cichlid aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voltuhge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a pair of neon blue dwarf cichlids (i believe that is their common name) in my 30 gallon community tank along with a mix of other community fish. The two are pushing eachother face to face, it almost looks like they are kissing. Is this aggression and should i be worried?

sounds like they are just sizing each other up but i am no expert with cichlids. curious to hear more from people in the know.

Neon blue dwarf cichlids huh? Electric blue rams? Electric blue acara? Electric blue jack Dempsey? Either way they are lip locking, could be mating behavior in a pair.or could be 2 males wanting to rip each others face off. Post pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely sounds like aggression. Knowing the actual species could help. Pics for ID?

Definitely sounds like aggression. Knowing the actual species could help. Pics for ID?
Agreed, probably aggression, need pics.

Also, how big is the tank and what else is in it?

Dwarf cichlids can be pretty nasty. I had a BABY apisto chasing my Blue Ram and Dorsigera around. I had to put her into another tank so the others could get some peace! Don't think I'll be getting any more dwarf cichlids anytime soon.

And wait, you have them in with a red tail shark and barbs? I don't know about odessa barbs, but most barbs are at least semi aggressive, and I could see them having a go with the dwarf cichlid. As for the red tail shark, they get fairly big, and it will quickly outgrow a 30 gallon tank, and if you keep it in there, it could end up killing the other fish. They are naturally aggressive, but being in a small tank on top of it--disaster!

You have an Electric Blue Ram. I would NOT keep it with a red tail shark or barbs. Barbs are fin nippers, and sharks are just plain mean. The Ram may not stand up for himself. (Sorry, just now looked at the pic in the link).

Reactions: HN1
That is an Electric Blue Ram, a variant of Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

A small amount of lip locking is OK but if it is persistent I would separate them. Also, when you say you have a pair, are you sure you have a male and a female?

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom