Dwarf gourami acting strange?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I got a male and female dwarf gourami on Saturday and the male has been acting weird, he constantly stays at the surface of the water, not moving or even swimming around, if he does move it's only to the bottom, and then he just sits on the sand, any ideas why? Or is this normal? The female is ok, swimming round enjoying her new home, she occasionally goes up to the male but he just ignores her. The pic is of him by the surface. Thanks for Any help :)

Attachments

• image-1939037860.jpg
    image-1939037860.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 151
Chris22 said:
Hey all, I got a male and female dwarf gourami on Saturday and the male has been acting weird, he constantly stays at the surface of the water, not moving or even swimming around, if he does move it's only to the bottom, and then he just sits on the sand, any ideas why? Or is this normal? The female is ok, swimming round enjoying her new home, she occasionally goes up to the male but he just ignores her. The pic is of him by the surface. Thanks for Any help :)

That's perfectly normal. My honey DG likes to rest on the bottom, laying perfectly still, and then when I look at her she quickly darts away. She also hangs out at the top by herself too with my betta. IME it's perfectly normal.

bruinsbro1997 said:
That's perfectly normal. My honey DG likes to rest on the bottom, laying perfectly still, and then when I look at her she quickly darts away. She also hangs out at the top by herself too with my betta. IME it's perfectly normal.

Gdgd, after my last one I was expecting to wake up tomorrow with him dead on the bottom :(. Thank you for putting my mind at rest lol

Just got home from work and my male dwarf gourami is dead :( I thought it was a bit weird, my female is fine tho, she's swimming round happy as can be. I had a look on the dead fish for any signs of I'll health but can't see any, the only think I did notice tho was his top fin was down alot, don't know if this has anything to do with his death.

Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Sometimes DGs are just like that. Pet stores can get bad shipments in sometimes, and DGs are known to be ridiculously sensitive. :(

bruinsbro1997 said:
Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Sometimes DGs are just like that. Pet stores can get bad shipments in sometimes, and DGs are known to be ridiculously sensitive. :(

Yeah that's two I've had die now, both male, the female is fine so fingers crossed she'll be ok.

Man, you're having some bad luck with these DG's :(. Sorry Chris, I know you're doing everything right and your tank is healthy.

eco23 said:
Man, you're having some bad luck with these DG's :(. Sorry Chris, I know you're doing everything right and your tank is healthy.

Yeah I sure am, the female came out of the same tank so it must of just been the fish, as soon as I put him in he was fine I actually thought I was gonna have a problem with the female but think she was just getting used to her surroundings, then the male started acting strange and then found him dead today. :( hopefully I find a healthy male soon.

Gouramis will always surprise you IME. i have had 2 males and a female, all perfectly happy, and 2 females and one male, all perfectly evil. they look fine but die, look sick, but are healthy. my grandfathers gourami tank (lots of gouramis) is like magic. no one bothers anyone. on the flipside, my friend's gourami tank expirienced numerous skirmishes, and now has 3 in a 29 gallon tank. i bet you'll find a great one soon. your tank is probably fine.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Gouramis will always surprise you IME. i have had 2 males and a female, all perfectly happy, and 2 females and one male, all perfectly evil. they look fine but die, look sick, but are healthy. my grandfathers gourami tank (lots of gouramis) is like magic. no one bothers anyone. on the flipside, my friend's gourami tank expirienced numerous skirmishes, and now has 3 in a 29 gallon tank. i bet you'll find a great one soon. your tank is probably fine.

Yeah I hope I find a good one soon, I have tomorrow off work so I'm gonna go down to the lfs see if they've had a new shipment in. They only sell in pairs tho so i hope they all get along. It's a 32 gallon (38US) tank so hopefully they will.

Back
Top Bottom