Dwarf gourami and female betta in 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have heard that a female betta will confuse a dwarf gourami as a male, and that there would be conflict
Should I keep a dg and a female betta in a 29 gallon?

there is a possibility of aggression, but hard to say for sure. I personally would not try it, but if you have a place to rehome one of them in case they do start fighting, then its worth a try.

I do have a 55 gallon where I could put the dg, but there is an angelfish in there, though he is very peaceful

I do have a 55 gallon where I could put the dg, but there is an angelfish in there, though he is very peaceful

I have no probs at all with my angel and two DG. Angel let them know she was queen the first day and since then no issues at all. In fact they often swim together. Not sure about the betta/DG mix as bettas are gourami so there could be problems. But, yeah, worth a try, if you do have back-up plan. Just know going in it may not work and that you may have territorial aggression.

Ok, I'm only putting one, but it is going to be with a group of 8 neon tetras,
So dg, or female betta?, or maybe a gold gourami?

You'd likely have a better shot with the gourami. They can be aggressive, too. I have several and they have adjusted just fine to danio, Kribs and angels. Not to say a betta would absolutely not work, but it just depends on the betta. Female bettas can be just as territorial, leading to aggression.

I kept a dg and two female betta in the same tank for a while, but I found that the dg chased them all the time and stressed them out. I now have them separated.

Ok, I'm doing a gourami, I'm thinking of 5 neon tetras and 5 glowlight tetras, and the gourami will be the centerpiece, is a dwarf or gold gourami better?

I have DGs, Neon DGs, Powder Blues, honeys of various types & female betas all in my 55g. Yes those are all plural. And they all are fine. I also have a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places which helps. Once in a while someone tries to get tough but it lasts for seconds then they're back to fine.

I have DGs, Neon DGs, Powder Blues, honeys of various types & female betas all in my 55g. Yes those are all plural. And they all are fine. I also have a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places which helps. Once in a while someone tries to get tough but it lasts for seconds then they're back to fine.

See, and I have never successfully kept multiples of the same gourami species in the same tank. Just goes to show you....tank size, decor, other fish, water, food, light, EVERYTHING. You never know!

It's so true. Everyone's experience will be different. Research as best you can and then it comes down to the tank environment and community.
Try-na, your tank sounds beautiful! Gouramis are such great fish.

We're just giving our experiences and opinions. I have read stories about horrible experiences and then also others like Try-na's. you have thought this out and asked around, and are prepped with back-up plan. Give it a go. Good luck and let us know...

Agreed. I have only had issue with 1 bully in my tank & it was a pearl gourami which I rehomed. I have also always been told that gouramis prefer to be in pairs, not necessarily male/female either. My Dwarf male & my Neon Dwarf male have paired up & hang out together all the time. Oh x 2 as I have a pair of both. My powder blues (2males) stick together. The honeys have taken over the top back right corner of my tank & all stick together with an occasional squabble between the 3 yellow males.

You can always try it but make sure you have an immediate back up plan just in case.

Wow, ok, so I guess that I am going to put two dwarf gouramis, because( correct me if I'm wrong) two golds are too big for a 29 gallon
I'm putting two, 5 neons and 5 glowlights, I'll see how it goes

Also, quick question, when should I add my two dwarfs, I'm adding 5 neon tetras this weekend, so I need to know if I should add them after my neons, mollies and platies?

I don't have a ton of experience in this but my suggestion is to add the more potentially aggressive and/or centrepiece fish near the end, once the tank and schools have had a time to be established.

You/this conversation inspired me to get a female betta for my live bearer tank. Got her tonight and she's gorgeous. So far, very shy but enjoying the size of the tank. The other fish are curious and she has shown no aggression so hopeful...

Oh, good to try out new things! What size is the ank, can you post some pics?
Also, check out my 29 gallon journal thread, there is where I am posting the progress and stocking of my tank
Show some pics of your tank with the betta!

We have her in a 20 with a few live bearers and 2 Bolivians. She is so sweet and just looks so happy to be out of that little tiny plastic cup. And not a sign of aggression. From anybody. They're all curious. The other fish come round to see her and she lets them. When she tires of that, she goes off into one of the little crevices we have. She is active around the whole tank and knows to come up to me to get her pellets at feeding time. So far, all is well. Hoping it'll. last. Yes, will post photos.
And I did see your other thread. I've been following. Don't know too much about Cory's and loaches and such but they look cool. We have an oto in our LB tank, as well.

Back
Top Bottom