Dwarf gourami bottom dweller, but reg. top dweller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at PetSmart today and they had dwarf gourami's labeled as bottom dwellers, but normal gourami's as top dwellers? Is this true?
I know you already got your gourami, but just wanted to comment on the label. I have an Opaline gourami in my 55g. He is very shy and always has been (was in my 29g before). He hides alot at the bottom of the tank. Usually when I'm not around, but sneak in my room (where the tank is) he's at the top, hiding in the plants. But, when I'm near the tank and he sees me, he usually hides near the bottom. So, its my experience that they probably spend most of their time near the top (since they take air from the surface), but will also spend some time near the bottom. I'm not sure if thats just how my gourami is or if they are all like that. :)

Thanks for the comment. With my tank, however, I would *expect* (but not sure) that to avoid the tigers the gourami would stay at the surface in some plants. Most of the fish are constantly at the bottom, and so that would be the danger zone. It's going to be an interesting acclimation to the main tank in a couple of weeks to say the least....

I should take a picture of my 10gallon QT tank and post it. I've got orange construction paper on all of the glass to prevent my 2 cats from seeing and attempting to eat the gourami. I'm sure that wouldn't help the stress level. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom