Dwarf gourami... female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have what I thought was a juvenile dwarf gourami at work. Very small, and way less brilliant colors that the adult male in the tank. Well the adult picked on the "baby" relentlessly, so as soon as I was sure my 10g at home was completely cycled (yesterday) I brought the little one home. My intention is to allow it some freedom to grow, and come into its own before moving it to a larger tank. Currently it is alone in the tank, and it is soooooooo shy. I couldn't find it at all last night before I went to bed, and so far today, I have seen it only in hiding. If I sit at the tank staring long enough it will even get nervouse about how well it's hidden, and dart over to a new spot.
So I'm staring at it, and I'm starting to wonder. Is it a female? Will it always be shy? It looks JUST like this photo. Keep in mind it's half the size of the adult. Anyone with any info on dwarf gouramis? I can't find too much info about the ladies.

Attachments

• dwarf.jpg
    dwarf.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • dg_AiWen_2.jpg
    dg_AiWen_2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,633
Duhhh, I forgot I could upload a pic from my phone. Here's my actual fish. :)

Attachments

• CIMG0046.jpg
    CIMG0046.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 189
  • CIMG0049.jpg
    CIMG0049.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 173
Yes, it's a female. Oh wait, you mean the bottom two pictures :) If you could get a better shot it would be easier to tell.

I'll try. It's so shy! If she is indeed female, is this typical? What can I put with her that won't pick on her constantly?

OK better?

Attachments

• better.jpg
    better.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 161
  • better1.jpg
    better1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 167
  • better2.jpg
    better2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 147
Back