Dwarf Gourami hard to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ownedbycats

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added a dwarf gourami to my tank. He seems to have no trouble eating flake food, but I also feed bloodworm and glassworm for variety and he seems to find it impossible to eat these. He tries over and over but ends up spitting them out. The smaller ricefish have no problem with the same worms.
Is this normal for DGs? Is there something else I could use to supplement the flake food?

ownedbycats said:
I just added a dwarf gourami to my tank. He seems to have no trouble eating flake food, but I also feed bloodworm and glassworm for variety and he seems to find it impossible to eat these. He tries over and over but ends up spitting them out. The smaller ricefish have no problem with the same worms.
Is this normal for DGs? Is there something else I could use to supplement the flake food?

Try frozen brine shrimp. Also, give him time to adjust. He is still getting comfortable

I'm alternating between Tetra and Omega flakes (Tetra is what the LFS was feeding the first fish I got, then I did some research and bought the Omega flakes)
I'd be less puzzled about the not eating bloodworms if he wasn't interested, or just ignored them, but he tries very hard to eat them, only to end up spitting them out. Also, he gobbles flakes like a pig, so it's not like he's on a hunger strike due to new conditions.

Mine eat flakes plus frozen brine shrimp. Are the bloodworms frozen or freeze dried? The freeze dried may be to hard and rough.

If the problem continues, try give your gourami some garlic or mysis shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom